cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Well, I guess I'm about to kiss my almost house goodbye...

tag
LondonMassey
Frequent Contributor

Well, I guess I'm about to kiss my almost house goodbye...

I just had a second old collection account pop up and be reissued as new.  This one from 2006 and a medical one.  The previous one was from 2007 and some bogus collection.  My reports now say that I have 2 NEW collections and my scores have tanked.  I had originally posted about this issue here because I needed help in regards to my HOME PURCHASE not REBUILDING MY CREDIT, but it was moved anyways.

Whatever.

I had contacted my broker with the first issue and she had "no clue" what to do about it or any advice to give me.  Really??  I thought a broker would have some type of idea what kind of effect this would have on my ability to get a loan.  I'm really not impressed and very very very unhappy with this whole entire situation.  Now I get to call this ignorant lady ( NOT WHO I WAS INITIALLY WORKING WITH) and tell her that situation #2 has happened that she doesn't know what to do with.... Then tell her if she doesn't have any advice for me she can take this contract and shove it.  I'll take my earnest money back and continue to pay rent.  My credit was almost 700 4 weeks ago... Now it's right below a 600!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'd cry if I wasn't so ticked off.

Cap1(sc) 550, Cap1 750, Walmart 750, Home Depot 3000, Amazon 700, US Bank 1500, Childrens Place 1100, JC Penney 700, Old Navy 700, PayPal 700, Torrid 700, Lane Bryant 150, Avenue 500, OSP 500, Amex Blue 2000, Disc it 1000, Walmart Disc 2200, Old Navy Visa 1700, Mortgage 09-2012, Car Loan 03-2013

Current Score: EQ 665 EX 687 TU 695

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 73
72 REPLIES 72
ChangiBear
New Contributor

Re: Well, I guess I'm about to kiss my almost house goodbye...

Smiley Surprised Sorry to hear this.  I don't have any input other than to wish you well and to say that you may want to do the 'opt out' feature (not sure if this is what it is called) on your credit report to block creditors/collectors from being able to view your credit report.  I heard that collectors sometimes look for those who are applying for mortgages in hopes of sticking them with old collections and forcing them to pay.  Heard of this before?

Cleared to Close on 9/9/13!
Closing on 9/17/13

8/31/12 FICO 733 (lender pulled)
1/7/13 Transunion 718, Equifax 710 (MyFico)
2/20/13 Equifax 729
8/13/13 Ex 751, Eq 766, TU 741 (all lender pulls)
Message 2 of 73
JM-AM
Valued Contributor

@LondonMassey wrote:

I just had a second old collection account pop up and be reissued as new.  This one from 2006 and a medical one.  The previous one was from 2007 and some bogus collection.  My reports now say that I have 2 NEW collections and my scores have tanked.  I had originally posted about this issue here because I needed help in regards to my HOME PURCHASE not REBUILDING MY CREDIT, but it was moved anyways.

Whatever.

I had contacted my broker with the first issue and she had "no clue" what to do about it or any advice to give me.  Really??  I thought a broker would have some type of idea what kind of effect this would have on my ability to get a loan.  I'm really not impressed and very very very unhappy with this whole entire situation.  Now I get to call this ignorant lady ( NOT WHO I WAS INITIALLY WORKING WITH) and tell her that situation #2 has happened that she doesn't know what to do with.... Then tell her if she doesn't have any advice for me she can take this contract and shove it.  I'll take my earnest money back and continue to pay rent.  My credit was almost 700 4 weeks ago... Now it's right below a 600!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'd cry if I wasn't so ticked off.

If you applied for an FHA loan you still have hope.

FHA rules are changing and depending on the lender may require you to pay off the medical collection and possibly the other collection depending on how much is owed. If you have the funds to pay them off or settle with them as long as they agree it is settled in full you may still have a chance at being approved. FHA still approves loans with credit scores as low as 580, it really is up to the lending institution.

Hope things turn out okay for you.

Good Luck
May all your dreams and wishes become a reality!
Message 3 of 73
LondonMassey
Frequent Contributor

I had opted out back in November and didn't start this process until Jan/Feb... and yes, I have heard of it before.  I filed a complaint with the BBB for the first one.  I just got the hit for the 2nd one today.  Neither one sent me any type of "dunning" notice, and the creditor for the 2nd one is the same one that has held it all these years.  I had insurance at the time and the hospital didn't bill them.  I'm not giving them a penny.  If it costs me the house, so be it.

Cap1(sc) 550, Cap1 750, Walmart 750, Home Depot 3000, Amazon 700, US Bank 1500, Childrens Place 1100, JC Penney 700, Old Navy 700, PayPal 700, Torrid 700, Lane Bryant 150, Avenue 500, OSP 500, Amex Blue 2000, Disc it 1000, Walmart Disc 2200, Old Navy Visa 1700, Mortgage 09-2012, Car Loan 03-2013

Message 4 of 73
LondonMassey
Frequent Contributor

It is FHA and I'm not worried about the new rules because received my FHA number back in March when we went under contract and discussed this with the initial person I was working with.  My HUGE issue is that I am going through a down payment assistance program and HAVE to use this broker (why I had to change people, same company different office due to contracts with the non-profit)... they want a 640. 

I really am so discouraged right now.  I worked really hard to get my scores up over the past few years and thought I really had a chance at buying a house to have a home for my kids... and so proud that I had worked so hard and was able to do it with just me... I've been sitting under contract since March 9th... waiting... and the only thing that has happened is my credit getting screwed.

If they are old debts, how do they tank your scores???

Message 5 of 73
JM-AM
Valued Contributor

@LondonMassey wrote:

It is FHA and I'm not worried about the new rules because received my FHA number back in March when we went under contract and discussed this with the initial person I was working with.  My HUGE issue is that I am going through a down payment assistance program and HAVE to use this broker (why I had to change people, same company different office due to contracts with the non-profit)... they want a 640. 

I really am so discouraged right now.  I worked really hard to get my scores up over the past few years and thought I really had a chance at buying a house to have a home for my kids... and so proud that I had worked so hard and was able to do it with just me... I've been sitting under contract since March 9th... waiting... and the only thing that has happened is my credit getting screwed.

If they are old debts, how do they tank your scores???

Depending how old they are they may not be on your credit reports for long. 

While some have said that collections do not impact your scores as much as time passes I have not personally experienced that. I had a very large increase to my scores once my negatives were finally cleaned up but no real change from them aging.

In your case even though the debt may be old it is still a NEW fresh collection added to your report so I am pretty sure it is dinging you heavily. Do you know how old these debts are? Do you know if the SOL has expired? Do you know when they will fall off?

Good Luck
May all your dreams and wishes become a reality!
Message 6 of 73
LondonMassey
Frequent Contributor

They were already on my reports... and had sat for years... now they've been renewed but the date of first delinquency was changed to May 2012.  Statue of Limitations in my state is 7 years.  One was due to fall off mid next year and the other was only 4 1/2 years old.  I haven't had a single negative on my credit since 2007 and now these get reissued.  How can they keep renewing them?  It's like double jeopardy, especially since I don't owe one at all and the other should have been billed to my insurance.  By the time I realized I had a collection (moved 4 times and never had a notice) it was already 2010 when I found out I could pull my reports for free.

Message 7 of 73
Sunshine85
Frequent Contributor

Sorry to hear this is happening to you.

Maybe you can try filing another BBB complaint and get the account off your report.

Message 8 of 73
IOBA
Senior Contributor

LondonMassey - there is a chance the lender wont' pull credit again before closing and not know about them.  (But even if they do pull the credit, they can see it wasn't there before....so something is fishy cuz you would not sabotage your house over something like a medical bill.)

BUT just in case they do, have a letter of explaination ready to go and be quick to point out that the collections are 6 yrs old and 4.5 yrs old.  That they are not really "new".

Opt out NOW!

And let us know what happens.   

Message 9 of 73
Catacam
Frequent Contributor

I agree with IOBA. They may not run it again!!  Praying for you!!!

CLOSED ON OUR FIRST HOME MAY 30TH!!!

Starting Score: TU 589 EQ 526 EX603
Current Score: TU 635 EQ 603 EX ??
Goal Score: 750

Message 10 of 73
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.