Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wells Fargo FHA Story...

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wells Fargo FHA Story...

just a forewarning, this is really long.

Hi,

For the past 4-5 months I’ve been reading these boards and – while it’s a great source of information – found it hard to discern a start to finish story of a mortgage process through one of the big banks (BofA, Wells Fargo, etc.); so I thought that I’d post my story.  It’s long, so if you don’t like to read, sorry.

In late July my wife and I decided to start looking for homes, actually just getting our ducks in a row to purchase early 2012.  After looking at some homes in the area, and speaking to a local loan broker who we REALLY liked, and working with him to check credit, etc, pre-qualify us..we decided to just continue building/repairing our credit (my wife hadn’t ever had credit cards, and I’d let college years screw my score up a bit) and then we’d be ready to purchase on schedule.  At the beginning of the process, my FICO score was the lower one – sitting at 621.  The broker we spoke to told us that if we could get our score up to 640 he’d be able to easily get us through the process (we were planning on doing an FHA loan), and he suggested the normal routes for improving (paying down high balances, etc.)

Then the change of plans…we made the mistake of visiting a model home at a community in a PRIME location for us, and speaking to them about pricing, etc…and after finding out that there were only 8-10 lots remaining, we decided to do what we could to speed up the process.  We had done some work on the credit portion, and my score was on track to be going up, but the other kink that was thrown into the mix was that for the builder to pay closing costs, you have to go through their preferred lender..in this case, Wells Fargo, which wasn’t what we wanted to do because we really liked the guy we were working with.  Regardless, we decided to go speak to the Wells Fargo person, and I asked her before we even got to the credit check portion what their minimum scores were – at the time (late July) she told me that they could get a loan through with any score down to 600 as long as you had 12 months of clean history.  Obviously I was skeptical as I’d heard plenty of horror stories regarding the big banks that rope people in with the ‘600 NO PROBLEM!’ lines then when underwriting gets  the file they reject it, but I was promised that wouldn’t be the case…so we went ahead and spoke to her, got preapproved (score still 621 at the time), got a preapproval letter (DTI and income weren’t an issue for us, the only issue throughout the process was my score being lower than I would like it to be, although my record is spotless for the last 5 years), and made an offer on a patch of dirt we’d like to call home.

Skip a few weeks and the offer was accepted and we were making our option selections for the house under the premise that everything with the loan was fine, and there were no issues.  We prepaid $2500 of our closing costs to lock in an interest rate because we weren’t sure what the credit downgrade was going to mean to rates, and locked in to 4.75% at that point.  I received a commitment to lend letter from Wells Fargo about 3 weeks after the offer was accepted and such, but it had a TON of conditions attached to it, so I assumed really it was more of a preliminary thing and there was much more underwriting to be done.  We signed our contract with the builder August 1st, and we weren’t scheduled to close until December 15th – as our apartment lease didn’t have an easy out for us and we didn’t want to be double paying, so we had plenty of time to work on things, time for them to build the house, etc. 

So throughout September/October/November I pretty much heard nothing from Wells Fargo, I’d email and ask and get a reply back that things were submitted to the loan processor, so I’d email the loan processor and not hear anything back, a bit annoying but I was assured by the loan officer (who was extremely nice and responded well) that everything was fine, and that my worrying was much ado about nothing.

Fast forward to the last 2 weeks – the house is essentially complete, we’ve had our inspections/walkthroughs, everything is pretty much wrapping up..I get a call from the loan officer @ Wells Fargo that they have all documentation and everything has been sent to the underwriter for final approvals.  Appraisal came back fine, etc.  I get a call from the LO on the 9th (supposed to close on the 15th) and she says “hey, I need to talk to you about something…let me close my door.”  At this point my heart sinks and I’m freaking out…but it turned out that even though we locked our interest rate in, I had emailed her asking if there was any way for us to take advantage of the current (better) rates – and lo and behold, she was able to get us 4.25%, and wanted to let me know that everything had been sent to the underwriter for a clear to close on the 15th – and she said we should hear back on Monday.

After struggling through the weekend, Monday rolled around and I got an email from our realtor and builder, which was a forward from the loan officer – WITH OUR CLEAR TO CLOSE!

So as I’m typing this – it’s December 13th, and I’m ecstatic and can’t wait to go sign my life away in less than 48 hours.  I’m holding onto this document and not posting it here on the forums until I have keys in my hand, because I’m a superstitious person and don’t count my eggs before they hatch, but as it stands right now, everything looks like by the time anyone is reading this, I’ll officially be a homeowner..

In short, I was able to do my FHA mortgage through WF with a credit score less than 640 (annoyingly, my FICO score now is up to 662 and climbing, but WF hasn’t pulled my credit since 7/29 so everything that they have is based off of a 621 score) and actually had a very good experience.  This is a stark contrast to what I read about a lot – so I thought it was worth writing up my story from start to finish to share.  Hopefully it helps or entertains.

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Wells Fargo FHA Story...

Suppose that needless to say, since I posted this everything @ the closing table went fine yesterday..funds were wired and we got our keys and we are good to go.

Message 2 of 17
boomhower
Valued Contributor

Congrats!  I'm likely going to use them in a few months when I go shopping.  WF seems to be very good with FHA loans from everything I have been seeing.

Message 3 of 17
BGinVA
Contributor

Congratulations on the new house and excellent interest rate.  When I started my refinance in November, Wells Fargo was one of the places I was referred to.  When I called them they wouldn't even speak to me about an FHA with a 630 mid FICO.  I wonder if it varies depending on the branch?

Message 4 of 17
PixieQueen80
Frequent Contributor

Congratulations, enjoy your new home!

Starting Scores (7/26/2010): EQ 517; TU 508; EX 527 (lender)
Scores Along the Way (11/4/2010): EQ 542; TU 547; (11/8/2010) EX Plus 641
Scores Along the Way: (4/15/2011): EQ 516; TU 622; EX 585 (lender)
Scores Along the Way: (8/25/2011): EQ 617; TU 627; EX 625 (lender)
Scores Along the Way: (11/28/2011): EQ 617; TU 645; EX 667 (lender)
Current Scores: (8/9/2013): EQ 634; TU 662; EX 694 (lender)
Closed on a Home: 12/30/2011 Goal Scores (8/25/2014): 700 club
Message 5 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats codelogic! Thanks for posting your story.   It will help others because I lurked and scoured the boards for months before I embarked on the mortgage process.  I look forward to posting my experience as well.  Enjoy your new home!

Message 6 of 17
lpayton
Regular Contributor

Congrats.  I am also dealing with Wells Fargo.  I am using a VA loan, and we have an executed offer right now...inspection and appraisal next week.

If you don't mind sharing, what were the conditions that came back from underwriting? Trying to mentally prepare myself now.  They just pulled the last 60 days of bank statements today so I am nervous about that because even though I have plenty of money coming in each month, we have a lot going out too.  Just hoping they don't raise a fuss about anything silly.  This is SO nerve wracking.

Message 7 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks everyone Smiley Happy

as far as conditions..on the initial committment to lend -- the conditions were pretty heavy..

good appraisal condition

termite inspection condition

radon test thingy

most recent bank statements provided within 30 days of closing (I was in your situation -- quite a bit of money coming in, but alot going out as well, as we went ahead and prepurchased some things like fridge/sofa since I got essentially 50% off on black friday sales and a local restoration hardware was going out of business and clearing out the store at 50%, so had things that were worth taking a risk over)

IRS verification of income forms

employment verification

Source of income for some stock options I cashed in through my company that we used for our down payment

Verification that employment bonuses are recurring if I wanted to use them as part of our DTI income figures (which I asked them not to include since it's performance based and not always guaranteed if my company's business unit doesn't meet their goals as a whole - even if I do personally..so since it wasn't within my control I asked it to be excluded and not used for the income factor)

Honestly nothing strange or wierd - stuff that makes logical sense.

That being said, I did make sure not to apply for any new credit lines or allow anything to touch my credit (except in a positive manner like paying down balances) during the whole loan process - just paying for everything with funds that I had or funds coming in.

Message 8 of 17
lpayton
Regular Contributor

Thanks Code.  I got a call from Wells Fargo today, along with not re-pulling my credit (report good for 120 days with their underwriting process), they are also telling me now that they will infact NOT need my bank statements, since I need nothing for closing costs (seller paying 4%, and bank giving me some sort of credit).  Also, she told me they locked me in at a 3.75% interest rate (30 year fixed).  This is going pretty well right now....fingers crossed and double crossed that we close.

Message 9 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats codelogic, glad everything went smoothly!

Do you mind sharing who your builder was? Mine also wanted me to finance through them/Wells Fargo but I was worried about going with a big bank.

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.