cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What age did you buy your first home?

tag
WhirledPeasPlease
Moderator Emeritus

Re: What age did you buy your first home?

At 30 I bought a 2 BR 1920s bungalow (800 sq ft) for 80k and at 36 I built a 4BR ranch (1725 sq ft) for about 140k.  My income at 30 was around 38k and at 36 I'm just under 50k.

I'd say my only 'mistake' was building a home during this credit mess.  (Of course, I didn't know that we'd be in this mess when I signed on last November.)  I am currently renting the bungalow and not quite breaking even w/ the mtg payment -- some income is better than none, right?  Smiley Happy

If I could do it all over again from the beginning, I would have made sure I had a bigger chunk in the bank -- beyond the down payment.  It was tough to finally 'grow up' financially AFTER I was responsible for a mortgage.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
From 700 in 2008 to 498 in 2012...
4/23/12 -- BK 13 date of filing EQ = 505
4/18/12 -- EQ 498
12/5/13 -- EQ 669
Here we go.... back on track.
Message 21 of 49
WannaHouse
Valued Contributor

Lots of issues from bad credit issues, partying too much, large moves(2 x's cross country), to 9-11...we are finally buying now. I am 51-and hubby is 55.

Gotcha all beat so far! Smiley Happy

Kathy

We are finally homeowners!!

Closed May 5th-30 yr fixed at 5.25%.

Message 22 of 49
anca21bi
Frequent Contributor

I wish it was this year but next month I'll be 26 years old and WILL BUY my first home by the summer.
Message 23 of 49
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey llecs, I didnt know you were from Fairfax too, small world. I was looking at condos/small town houses in Herndon. Townhouse next door to my friend's was being repoed by the bank and resold for $100k. I would like

to buy a house in that area in hopes that they MIGHT actually put up metro there.Smiley Happy

Message 24 of 49
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

dvroberts81 wrote:

Hey llecs, I didnt know you were from Fairfax too, small world. I was looking at condos/small town houses in Herndon. Townhouse next door to my friend's was being repoed by the bank and resold for $100k. I would like

to buy a house in that area in hopes that they MIGHT actually put up metro there.Smiley Happy

Yep, Herndon-Monroe station may be a reality soon:

http://www.dullesmetro.com/stations/index.cfm

Message 25 of 49
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm 37 and still haven't bought - I lived in Manhattan for most of my 20s, so buying a place wasn't an option when 600-1000 sq. ft. apartments were anywhere from $300k - $1 million+.  Of course, most of those places have doubled or tripled in value, but when you're living in Manhattan at a young age, it's tough to save for a down payment if you're not making a great salary and if you didn't spend time at home.

I'm happy I did it, but it definitely postponed home ownership and probably wasn't the best long-term decision.

Message Edited by FICOScott on 12-14-2008 11:11 AM
Message 26 of 49
Anonymous
Not applicable

20.  Couldn't believe I qualified as I never had so much as a auto loan at that time.  Was a $100,000 home (nearly 100% financing).  $36k in annual income but no debt whatsoever.  Never a day late on a payment.  Was 5/3 bank - special program.
Message 27 of 49
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was 28 when I had bought my first house. 149500. Would have been years earlier had I had all my credit issues in order.
Message 28 of 49
Susyflower
New Contributor

My BF and I closed on both of ours first home on 11/25.  I'm 28 and my BF is 32.  We went through FHA and was approved with my CS of 731 and his CS of 608.  The purchase price was $80,000 at 6.00% interest, DP of 3%.
Message 29 of 49
Anonymous
Not applicable

WhirledPeasPlease , I think that would be my biggest concern. Having just enough money in my bank account for a downpayment/approval. I am afraid I won't be able to resist and then I will be broke, on the other hand throwing away $1200 on rent is just as bad.
Message 30 of 49
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.