cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What are our odds of approval on a mortgage

tag
gromero1987

What are our odds of approval on a mortgage

So I filed chapter 7 in 2010- i reestablished credit paid all my bills on time and closed on our house in 2013(usda loan). After closing on our house hubby lost his job and we fell behind on everything even our mortgage. Mortgage was modified and we fell behind again bc he was let go again... He went through a few bad jobs.. He eventually filed ch. 7 and I have caught up on everything that has been late. We have about 60k equity in our home and should have about another 50k in savings 1 year post his Ch 7. We make about 100k yearly no debt.. looking to purchase a 400k home with 110-120k down. Our dti will be low. Does anyone know if this is doable? Or do we have to wait longer to apply for a new mortgage. My main concern is that I had lates post bankruptcy and 120 lates on mortgage
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What are our odds of approval on a mortgage

@gromero1987 wrote:
So I filed chapter 7 in 2010- i reestablished credit paid all my bills on time and closed on our house in 2013(usda loan). After closing on our house hubby lost his job and we fell behind on everything even our mortgage. Mortgage was modified and we fell behind again bc he was let go again... He went through a few bad jobs.. He eventually filed ch. 7 and I have caught up on everything that has been late. We have about 60k equity in our home and should have about another 50k in savings 1 year post his Ch 7. We make about 100k yearly no debt.. looking to purchase a 400k home with 110-120k down. Our dti will be low. Does anyone know if this is doable? Or do we have to wait longer to apply for a new mortgage. My main concern is that I had lates post bankruptcy and 120 lates on mortgage

Bumping this up for you, hoping some more knowledgeable folks come along, but this is what I understand;

Unless you are eligible for the back to work program - FHA requirements are two years post discharge from a ch7.  I'll be honest in telling you that lates post bankruptcy are really frowned on by lenders.  How old are the 120 days lates - from all of the knowledge on this board, those are treated as a foreclosure in the eyes of lending and the foreclosure rules would apply.  Do you need both incomes to support a new loan?  There are lenders that will lend before FHA or conventional guidelines allow but they downpayment is going to be a lot higher and the interest rate will be more.

Message 2 of 4
Macbookguy
Established Member

It's not impossible but it's going to be very very difficult. Your first issue will be the bankruptcy that you filed in 2010. You are past the seasoning period for your bankruptcy, however the 120 day late payments are almost as bad as a foreclosure in the eyes of many lenders. The credit union where I work will not make a mortgage loan to anyone who has been more than 30 days late on their mortgage within the previous two years.

Your second issue will be your husband's bankruptcy. There are a couple of options when it comes to bankruptcy seasoning. FHA states that you should be two years post Chapter 7. There are hardship exemptions such as if the bankruptcy was caused by the loss of a job, death of a spouse, etc. In some instances you can be granted a new mortgage after only one year since your discharge but the terms and conditions aren't always favorable.

A traditional mortgage lender will probably flat out deny you based on the late payments on your current mortgage. While you've had some harships beyond your control, the previous five to six years of yours and your husband's financial lives do not reflect sound finances. In the period of six years you've each filed bankruptcy and you've been 120 days late with your mortgage at least once. Negative credit after a bankruptcy discharge is a deal breaker for most lenders.

However, it may be possible for you to get a mortgage. If you can find a lender who will not have any overlays or stipulations such as those I've mentioned, FHA does finance down to a 500 credit score with a higher down payment and the down payment you've mentioned would put you in that percentage range. You won't receive an automatic underwriting approval and you will have to document your hardships. The best loan program I know of that could possibly work for you is offered by Quicken Loans. It will allow for a loan one year after bankruptcy discharge, requires a 640 middle FICO of all borrowers, has a five year adjustable rate, and has a maximum LTV of 80%.

Personally I advise you to wait until your finances improve. You are contemplating taking on hundreds of thousands of dollars of debt when you've repeatedly been unable to repay your debts. Again, life's circumstances do happen and I understand. If life's circumstances were to come and bite you again, both you and your husband are ineligible for a Chapter 7 discharge for quite some time. You could file Chapter 13 if something happened, however your husband would be unable to discharge any debt.

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

What are your credit scores? The large down payment definitely helps. If your DTI is low, credit is decent (640+), and you put 20% down, I would imagine there is definitely a chance. Your best bet is to talk to a few lenders and ask their specific requirements in such a situation.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.