Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What debts are counted for DTI?

tag
Jazzzy
Valued Contributor

What debts are counted for DTI?

Am I correct that to figure out how much mortgage you can afford that you must calculate DTI?

What exactly is counted in DTI?

New mortgage payment + taxes + insurance?

Car payments?

Credit card payments?

Student loan payments?

What am I missing?

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
edcampbell613
Contributor

Re: What debts are counted for DTI?

Anything that will populate on your credit report.

All you have listed

+ alimony or child support

+ HOA dues

I have even seen some lenders go through your checking account statements and add other things such as;

+ Storage locker rentals

+ Boat marina monthly fees

anyone else chime in? This is just off the top of my head.

Message 2 of 9
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

Correct, debt to income ratio determines how much you can qualify for.

Mortgage (includes taxes/insurance/HOA), installment, leases, revolving, child support and alimony.

401k loans, union dues & child care expenses aren't included in the debt ratio.

Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 3 of 9
Jazzzy
Valued Contributor

Thanks Shane & Ed...one more question...

We have 2 rental properties...I believe at the end of the year we show a small loss on these. Am I to assume that loss would be calculated into this ratio?

Message 4 of 9
edcampbell613
Contributor

Correct,

PLUS they usually only count 75% of the rental income.

Message 5 of 9
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

@Jazzzy wrote:

Thanks Shane & Ed...one more question...

We have 2 rental properties...I believe at the end of the year we show a small loss on these. Am I to assume that loss would be calculated into this ratio?

Assuming these are reported on Schedule E, you will add back in insurance, mortgage interest, property taxes & depreciation/depletion.  Depreciation/depletion because it's not an actual cash expense, and interest/taxes/insurance because on the schedule of real estate owned on the loan application the current amount for those items will be accounted for (so you don't get hit twice).  Rental income will be taken from line #3 divided by fair rental days, but won't be any more than the current amount you are renting it out for.

If they aren't on your tax returns then like Ed said, take 75% of the gross rental income to qualify (higher % if you are doing FHA financing).

Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Message 6 of 9
Jazzzy
Valued Contributor

Just had a thought....I pay a $1,200 life insurance premium each month. Will that count as a debt to be considered in the ratio?

Message 7 of 9
Jazzzy
Valued Contributor

I just had another thought...(I need to quit thinking!)...

We pay $1,300 medical insurance each month...does that count as a debt in the DTI ratio?

Message 8 of 9
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

Nope, neither are included in the DTI.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.