cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What does it mean to be 'conditionally aprroved'?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

What does it mean to be 'conditionally aprroved'?

My agent and the seller's agent are from the same real estate company.  The seller's agent is a friend of my mortgage broker, and she called the mortage brokers' assistant today (because my broker was out of town, again...) to find out the status of my FHA loan which has been with the underwriters for 1 month.  According to my agent, the assistant told the sellers agent that my loan was conditionally approved.  I was wondering why they didn't call to tell me, especially since I've been hounding them for a few weeks now.  So I called the assistant and 'played dumb' to see if she would tell me the loan was conditionally approved.  She beat around the bush and finally said that she talked to my agent  today and told her that everything is on track.  She actually talked to the seller's agent.  Should I be concerned or is this normal?  I remember reading something about dual agents.  Can anyone explain?  And assuming I am conditionally approved, what does that mean exactly. 
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

Re: What does it mean to be 'conditionally aprroved'?

Your preapproval has been validated by the underwriter and turned into 'approval'.
However, it seems that there are a few 'conditions' of that approval.
Basically the underwriter is giving the loan officer a list. On that list is a few things the underwriter wants to turn it into a full approval.
Things they may ask for:
1. more recent paystub
2. letter of explanation for recent inwuiries and statement from borrower that those inquiries didnt result in new debt
3. more recent bank statement
4. better proof that earnest money check cleared the bank
5. request the realtor fix what they messed up on the FHA Addendum part of the contract
6. letter explaining recent large deposit
7. verification of employment doesn't match paystubs; reconcile
8. you get the picture

Retired Lender
Message 2 of 4
JuliaTN
New Contributor

LLBYRD wrote:
My agent and the seller's agent are from the same real estate company.   Should I be concerned or is this normal?  I remember reading something about dual agents. 

Note: Agency is a legal status determined by state law; what follows applies in TN but may vary in other states. More than likely it will at least be similar though. Agency can be a tricky thing to understand, even most real estate licensees have a dim idea, at best, of what it means.

The fact that they are from the same company should not overly concern you. If you get into a "dual agency" situation you should run like the wind. Most RE companies practice what is called "designated agency" meaning that even if the buyer and seller are represented by agents from the same company, one is "designated" as an agent for the seller and one for the buyer.

Dual agency refers to the practice that one person acts as the agent for both buyer and seller. Theoretically this is possible, but as a practical matter I don't see how one person can advocate on the behalf of two parties with opposing interests. Most brokers don't allow this because of the potential conflicts (read: lawsuits).

In terms of getting information from the lender, as long as it's just a simple update on the status of the loan/underwriting I wouldn't worry about that. From the lender's perspective, they were talking to an agent and didn't bother to clarify whose agent it was. As long as you have a binding contract at that point, there shouldn't be much that the lender could disclose to the seller's agent that would make any difference.  If you were still in negotiations, I wouldn't want the seller's agent talking to my lender. Keep in mind though, that even in that situation, the seller would have every right to ask about the status of your loan application in considering your offer; it should be up to you to decide what to disclose.
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would be concerned and peaved at your loan officer and/or assistant for not divulging an approval to you first- pretty tacky. You have a right to know what those conditions are and what you need to provide to clear them as soon as possible so that you can get your loan closed. Be up front with your LO- you do have the right to tell him what to reveal to any third party when, and if you don't want him/her divulging info about your loan when you haven't been notified about it first, then make it so. Keep in mind they work for you.
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.