cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What else do I need to get FHA Lender Approval?

tag
beb86
Valued Contributor

Re: What else do I need to get FHA Lender Approval?

@ycnan wrote:

My credit score is low and don't think it can get up above 700 to do a conventional loan by June 2013. I don't know much about conventional and assume it is much more difficult to get a loan, even if I have over 20 percent to put down. 

You don't have to have over 700 for a conventional loan...most will do it at 660, some at 680 and a few at 640, possibly even at 620. It may be more difficult to qualify for as you would need higher scores and a 20% down payment but I assume there are much less hoops to jump through. I think a lender would also see you as less of a risk as you are putting down 1/5 of the purchase price compared to 3.5, 5, or 10% and there are less fees on top of that, No FHA org fee, PMI, etc. 

Message 11 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What else do I need to get FHA Lender Approval?

Yes you can go as low as 620 on conventional as long as there is a good down payment, usually 20% or better.  Granted, the rate on an FHA loan at 620 credit would be better but with the conventional route with that down payment you wouldn't have PMI

Message 12 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.