Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is Taxable and Assessed Value???

tag
Evil1980
Valued Member

What is Taxable and Assessed Value???

Trying to understand all the changes that have happened in the last six months and if there is a benefit to me? I purchased a home for $167k in September of 2016. The taxable value was only $49k and the assessed value was $58k. Just received a notice of Assessment and Value and my house went from$49k to $72k for both values. Does this mean anything besides I now I more to pay in taxes. Was just curious if the overall value of my property increase the value of my home. How would I find out in regards to a possible loan to help remodel the kitchen….

2 REPLIES 2
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

Re: What is Taxable and Assessed Value???

assessed = county opinion of value

taxable = assessed minus any exemptions. the amount they use to apply the tax rate

Retired Lender
Message 2 of 3
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

Re: What is Taxable and Assessed Value???

When you are trying to gauge how much your home's appraised value would be, you should look to find similar homes to yours that have sold recently.  Appraisers will look for similar square footage, lot size, bed/bath count, and year built and will look back 6 months (up to 12 can be acceptable in some situations).  Homes in your neighborhood are usually given highest priority, since the amenities are identical.  Surprisingly, Zillow.com has really improved their searching features on past sold homes (the "Zestimate" isn't always accurate though).  It doesn't always list all homes that have sold, and if you are in a non-disclosure state (such as Texas) it doesn't work as well since the data isn't widely available, but there are a lot of parameters you can adjust to bring up similar comps.  If you still keep in touch with your real estate agent, I recommend you ask them for a "Comparitive Market Analysis" that will provide better info.  You'll want to review that data with an experienced loan officer.

As far as home remodel, you could look into a home equity loan (typically will go up to 90% of your home's value) but a lot of equity loans want you to own your home for at least 12 months before they'll use a higher appraised value than what you purchased the home for.  There are also rehab loans that will use the "after improved" value of your home to base things off of, but they are more involved when it comes to qualifying (contractor bid is required, contractor has to be reviewed/approved, funds are disbursed after work is completed, remodel has to be completed within a certain amount of time).

Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.