cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is a reasonable amount of time to wait for communication from lender?

tag

What is a reasonable amount of time to wait for communication from lender?

Hello,

I am so frustrated in trying to obtain an acceptable mortgage lender here. I first had spoken to and worked with one that my realtor recommended and it took her over 2 days to return a phone call and email from me. I then received a lecture from her when I asked her if she didn't want to work with me because she didn't seem to want to communicate (said it nicely).

I then spoke with another that my realtor recommended. She didn't know anything about USDA home loans and didn't seem to want to work with me either.

I then spoke  with a friend who recommended a lender she worked with. I spoke with the new lender last Monday, the 7th. I explained my frustration about the lack of cummunication with the first lender. She assured me that she would get back with me in a timely manner and I had a better feeling about her. She emailed me a list of what she needed from me to get the loan started that same evening. I started gathering everything and sending them to her right away. I emailed her some things she needed on Monday night, Tuesday, Wednesday, and got her the remaining items on Thursday. The whole time, I heard nothing from her. 

With the remaining items I sent her on Thursday, I sent the following:

"Hi LXXX,

I hope you have gotten all of my emails in which I have sent you documents ( I don't want someone else to get any of these). I am now attaching what I think are the final required documents you asked for. I am enclosing XXXXXX's ID, SS card, and her 2013 W2s. Would you please let me know that you received them and let me know if we are missing anything?

Thank you and we look forward to working with you on this!"

To this, I received the following reply, "Yes I have gotten then and will let you know I'd anything else is needed. Have a good evening." That was 6 days ago! I received notification on Friday, the 11th from Score watch that she pulled my reports. I have heard nothing from her since last Thursday!

I am trying to be patient, but I feel this is so unprofessional and it clearly showing she isn't interested in working with me either. I am so frustrated because I can not afford to have all these lenders keep pulling my reports resulting in hard pulls and lower my scores even more only to ignore me. 

My question is, what is an acceptable communication time frame for lenders to get back in touch with you? Am I being unreasonable to expect some communication within a 6 day time frame? Or should I just be patient and keep waiting?

Thank you

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
ezdriver
Senior Contributor

Re: What is a reasonable amount of time to wait for communication from lender?

Wow ... you must be living in the area to which all bad loan officers are sent.

When I was an active mortgage broker, I told my client upfront that they will hear from me at least twice weekly ... and I always kept my promise.

I am currently a sales counselor for a national builder. I tell my customer [when contract is signed] that they will receive a minimum of one weekly phone call. I make that call even if they had called me the day before.

By not defining a communications commitment level initially, both you and the loan officer have left it to chance. It is not too late to ask your loan officer for a communication commitment that specifies a minimum weekly phone call if that is what you need. Remember that they work for you and not the other way around. 

Message 2 of 4

Thank you. I emailed the lender last night and still zero communication today. I am going to be calling her office tomorrow and will definitely discuss a communication committment - if I can even get a hold of her over the phone. If I can not. I think I will be contacting her boss and expressing my displeasure.

I am just so frustrated because their lack of communication and desire to do their job is going to cause my score to lower due to multiple inquiries. I explained my need for better communication than the last person. She said she would definitely keep in touch with me. She said she would return my calls- maybe not immediately, but the same day.

Message 3 of 4
ezdriver
Senior Contributor

@MassageAtTheBeach wrote:

Thank you. I emailed the lender last night and still zero communication today. I am going to be calling her office tomorrow and will definitely discuss a communication committment - if I can even get a hold of her over the phone. If I can not. I think I will be contacting her boss and expressing my displeasure.

I am just so frustrated because their lack of communication and desire to do their job is going to cause my score to lower due to multiple inquiries. I explained my need for better communication than the last person. She said she would definitely keep in touch with me. She said she would return my calls- maybe not immediately, but the same day.

You can also report the lousy loan originators to your State's licensing body. The license is granted based on a promise to serve consumers in a reasonable mannger.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.