Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is fixed rate loan but not locked?

tag
lonerower
New Contributor

What is fixed rate loan but not locked?

I am early on in the application and the paperwork says loan product "fixed."  It also says interest rate "not locked".   I am going for a 30 year fixed rate but the not locked part threw me off.  I am hoping this just means that the application is not finished so the rate is not locked in yet and just waiting for approval.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Re: What is fixed rate loan but not locked?

Are you under contract for a purchase or is this a pre-approval?

If you are under contract, most lenders will lock you in when you request it.

Message 2 of 4
lonerower
New Contributor

Pre-approval.  

Message 3 of 4
TimeToRecover
Established Contributor

A fixed rate loan is the type of loan (it is the fixed rate for the life of the loan (IE it isn't an ARM (Adjustable Rate Mortgage)).  

Locked is what you do that freezes your rate for you rmortgage.  The time frame that the lock is good for is limited.  Locking the rate is a matter of timing etc.  The lock is only good for a certain period of time, and if not closed in that time frame the lock expires and must be relocked.  Locking is great if rates are rising as you can take advantage of a lower rate but if rates go lower then the locking may have you at a higher rate.  

Starting Score: 570 ish
Current Score:EX (701) EQ (711) TU (705)
Goal Score: 750
In My Wallet: GE Care Credit (8K) BestBuy (6K) BofA Cash Rewards Signature Visa (7K) Cap One Quicksilver (10.5K) Chase Freedom (4K) Lowes (6K) VS Angel Card (2.4K), Macys (4K)
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.