cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the Process for Buying New Constuction?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What is the Process for Buying New Constuction?

You guys are lucky.  My contract was accepted in late May.  It was supposed to be completed in late November.  We are now in mid January and they only have the outside done.  I dont think they have mud the walls yet, I hope they will get it done by Feb 20th as I am on month to month and I paid $500 to drop my jumbo rate to 3.75%.  Sigh....

I think I did the foundation walkthrough in August and the pre drywall a month ago

Message 21 of 25
frugalQ
Valued Contributor

Wow, that's a huge gap.  What happened to cause such a long delay?

AmEx Green NPSL | Amex BCP 16K | Citi Simplicity 10k | Discover IT 9K | Chase Slate 7.5K | Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass 7K | Capital One QuickSilver 6K | Home Depot 5k | Chase Freedom 4.5K | LOC 2.5K
Message 22 of 25
merlinflex
Frequent Contributor

@ezdriver wrote:

@merlinflex wrote:

I just built a house this past year.

I applied with 3 different lenders via my work relocation program and went with Discover Home Loans and Discover Home Real Estate, that was 1/31/2014

Got a call a little while later and was approved based on the initial application.  Gathered 3 years tax returns and W2's and 3 months current bank statement, go the pre-approval a few days later.

Decided on a new build here in D.C. and put $25K down to start in mid-march (took some time looking and closed on the previous house I was selling).  In the end I had put down 23% on a $665K new build and financed the rest.

Due to weather and such, we did not close until 9-30-2014, so six month process from start to finish. 

During that 6+ months, I charged ZERO/NADA and locked all my credit reports and charged nothing at all....not one dime and opened no accounts.....no HPs at all.

Since I was in a corp housing with no mortgage, I paid myself down to 3% utilization across the board.

When my old mortgage reported as closed, no change to my FICO, but when a truck I had reached its loan end, my score dropped 5pts.....go figure....(i had three car loans and still had two active). but rebounded back a month or so.

Then at the start of Sept, they pulled my CRs to lock me in and we went from there.  My scores were very good across the board as had paid everything down pretty quickly in April so that it would catch up to my credit reports and that can take up to 90 days.  So I was right on time when I went to close.

Just be ready to lock yourself down and such and do nothing to afffect your FICO scores......Good luck!

That is music to my ears! Perfect way to handle one's credit during the home-buying process. wish that all my buyer clients would be so proactive and diciplined.

Congratulations on your new home.

Thanks! yeah, I had been working on my credit long before the house thing and move came up, prob 2 years and change.  Nothing really wrong, but got serious about paying to get my utilization down, at that time it hovered around 25% across the board.

When I sold our house I took the profit that we made and earmarked it towards the down payment and then we had about 6 months of no mortgage/rent payments, so I took a nice chunk of change from my personal savings account, not joint, and made massive payments across the boards.  so it went down fast and I knew it could take a few months for it all to catch up to my CRs and then level out.  I didn't want to wait to the end when we were close to closing to do it, as CRs can take awhile to update.

From there, I just put back into my savings what I normally would put towards mortage, insurance, property taxes and bills.....our apt was all utilities included (company paid for it all) except cable/internet, so my savings account balance rebounded pretty quickly.

I heard and read about horror stories of people doing dumb things, like opening new loans for cars, or getting new credit cards and/or making large credit purchases and things like that. 

The builder and the mortgage company were both in unison in telling me to NOT do ANY of that!!

So I heard and obeyed and lived off my debit card or just cash and charged NADA!! I brought all my cards across the board down to 3% utilization and just paid regular things and did nothing out of the ordinary and did not do large cash deposits or anything dumb.

When I came time to close, gave them several months worth of new bank statements and pay check stubs and the underwriter said, good deal, nothing unsual from Feb to Sept, you good to go.

The night after we signed and closed at the title company, we went to diner and used a credit card for points!  Smiley Very Happy

The next day, I went out and traded in both my cars for cars with AWD/4WD and got 1.99% from Chase and PenFed on new ones.  Cars worth more than owed, but both rear wheel drive.  Approved on the spot.  Got a Ashley card to get some new furniture and take advantage of the 12 month financing offer and got two new credit cards, a black card and the recent Amex BCE.  Locked up our CRs and gardening till Jan 2016!

Message 23 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

City, permits, weather, problems with the underground piping.  They claim they are on track for their 120 days construction period, but it didn't help they started late and they couldn't work on the house for a month with the rain.  Now they are say construction will complete by mid Feb, but there is a chance it will run late due to final city approval and utillies hookup.  I want them to close on the 23rd due to my rate lock at 3.75%.  ahhhhhhh i hate this

Message 24 of 25
dskelton1151
Established Member

@mynameainttracy wrote:

In our case we had been looking at a particular neighborhood for about 3 years. They required 5% down and 25% of upgrades to build so because of lack of cash on hand or timing with our lease we just couldn't make things work out. They are now down to the last 50 or so lots and started doing some spec homes which works better for us since we only have to come up with the 5% and not the 25% for the upgrades.

One became available about 3 months ago that met all of our needs as far as floorplan, timing  and the upgrades were fantastic. The house is loaded and we didn't have to come up with the $25k extra.

We put $1000 down to hold the lot while we secured financing.

We went through full underwriting with their lender. Some of you may remember that they tried to force us to use their lender and we almost walked away. In the end we have decided to use them...on our terms.

We then put down 5% which was based on the base house +lot premium and signed the contract.

Although the house was already designed, we went through the design phase where we added some laundry cabinets, a storm door and some other minor things. For this we did have to put down an additional 25% which only came out to about $1000.

We had our first walk through last Friday. We realized we needed a couple of extra outlets and they let us pay to have them added. Costly, but we will be there for a long time and it was worth it to us.

Our closing is set for April 2nd.

So that's how we have gone about buying new construction. We looked at a lot of different options before choosing this neighborhood/builder and so far we are very happy with our decision.

How long did they give you to secure funding???

Message 25 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.