cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's better...larger down pmt? Or strong rental history?

tag
happy0510
Established Contributor

What's better...larger down pmt? Or strong rental history?

I am looking to purchase in a year...I want to move out (of parents house) now however, to get a feel for a bigger payment and also show the bank I can do it.  Would it be wiser to just stash the cash away for a larger down payment instead??

Message Edited by happy0510 on 03-31-2008 03:18 PM

Starting Score: 615
Current Score: 709
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What's better...larger down pmt? Or strong rental history?

How about if you start paying your parents rent, and document it with a rental agreement and cancelled checks? If your parents are willing to, they could stash all that money in a savings account for you and gift it back to you for your down payment.

I'm not completely clear on the guidelines for gifts for down payments, but it's worth a thought maybe.
Message 2 of 4
happy0510
Established Contributor

Thaks Des...unfortuantley....I live with just my Mom who is well in over her head....I already do give her a rent payment...$500/mo....but thats a joke in California!! I'm looking at $2500-3K/mo for a mortgage!! But if I put more down...less...so i'm kinda stuck with whether I should save for a larger down or have the history of a larger rent payment!!

Starting Score: 615
Current Score: 709
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 4
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

Most loan programs don't need verification of rental history - and if you aren't obligated to pay rent, like living rent free with relatives, etc., then it's not needed either.
Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.