Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What would you do?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

What would you do?

My husband and I have been through the ringer in our journey to homeownership and at this point are so emotionally drained we can't even think straight...so I figured it might be best to look for some other opinions about our situation Smiley Wink The story is crazy complicated, so I will try my best to summarize it as succintly as possible:

- In August of 2014 we began the process of building our dream home (final price of $452k) along with an agressive debt reduction plan to pay off all of our debt by the time construction was completed (May 2015) to get our scores/DTI into an acceptable range. It was quickly determined that with my income being solely from self employment and the business showing a huge loss in 2013 that it would be best to remove me from the application so as to not eat into my husband's income...he was preapproved by the builder's lender for a conventional mortgage, contingent upon completion of the debt reduction plan with 5% down.

- Over the course of the construction we stayed in continuous contact with the lender to ensure he was staying on track with the plan and everything would be in order by the time for closing, complete with multiple credit checks every few months. Everything was going according to plan and his middle score was 683 as of May, far exceeding their goal score for him of 660 laid out in the plan. Through the process of paying down all of our debts, including some mutual accounts, my score was boosted as well and is now higher than his even.

- Our closing date was scheduled for May 29th, we gave 30 days notice on our rental with plans to move in June...at which time the landlord informed us that he was wanting to sell the house after we moved out anyways.

- Last week the LO calls to ask some questions about the previous mortgage my husband has on his credit and what was the final disposition of the property. We informed her that obviously it had foreclosed and she immediately said we were going to be denied because it hadn't been 7 years from the FC date yet and according to her we can't even qualify for FHA for another 3 1/2 years (See related thread New mortgage approval with 5 year difference between BK and FC). All of our hopes and dreams for homeownership were dashed in a matter of 5 minutes, and then the panic started to set in.

- We inform our landlord that our financing has fallen through on our new home, and he tells us that he is still going to sell the house so we need to be out by June unless we want to buy the house from him (estimated value of house is $320k, within the $326k FHA limit for our area), which we aren't even sure if we can at this point according to what this LO is telling us.

- When contacted our realtor and let her know what has happened, she suggested that we look for a seller willing to do a lease-to-buy arrangement where we would pay not only a monthly rent but also give a down payment up front and a set amount each month to add to the eventual total down payment with the plan to purchase in a year or two. She has one potential seller willing to do such an arrangement, but the house isn't exactly what we were looking for and the price is a little high for what we would be getting...

- Yesterday we spoke with a different LO who told us that the BK date trumps the FC date, so she thinks there is a chance she can get us an approval...but whether that will be FHA or conventional we don't know and we are skeptical to even believe we can be approved for anything at this point

Here is where the dilemma comes in - What would you do?

A. (IF we are able to qualify for FHA right now) Purchase the house we are renting now, which isn't exactly our dream house - unfortunately we don't have the time to shop for another house as the landlord wants us out by next month

B. Look for another rental and just wait out the supposed waiting period to purchase another home, whenever that may be and end up having to move twice

C. Take the lease-to-buy offer and ultimately purchase another house we aren't completely happy with

D. (And this is a controversial one I know) Get a divorce on paper so that I could qualify for a mortgage myself in a year's time with the generous child support & alimony from my husband, which another LO we spoke said she has actually seen done before (obviously an extreme last resort) so that we could purchase another dream home. This option would still require us to find somewhere else to live in the meantime

If anyone can think of any better choices than the ones I have listed, I'm all ears! Our situation is getting pretty desperate, and as you can see we are in quite the pickle and none of the options are ideal. Our hope right now is that somehow this new LO might be able to get my husband approved right now for a conventional and we could still purchase our dream house, which is starting to feel more and more impossible with each passing day (and it doesn't help that all of this has coincided with a holiday weekend lol).

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Re: What would you do?

What happened to the house you were building? Has it been sold to someone else?  If the builder has it in inventory still - go to a mortgage banker (correspondent lender) and finance it FHA with 5% down rather than the 3.5% down payment.  Or, if you can do it, finance it FHA with 10% down so you can drop the mortgage insurance after 11 years. Or finance it with a conventional loan with 10% down if you have that available to you.

I wouldn't rush into buying a home you don't like or don't want. You are in position now to buy a home with the timeline you posted in your other thread (since it has been more than 5 years since your Bk you fit both FHA and conventional loan requirements).

You are already past the waiting period for both FHA and conventional loan requirements. It is just the particular lender you went to that has the additional overlays. There are plenty of other lenders that don't have those same overlays. The lender you used is very, very conservative. Is it a bank?  PM me if you can't find one on your own but it sounds like you already found an alternate lender in your other post. 

Don't do the lease to buy offer - no need to do this as you are already past the waiting periods.

Don't get a divorce for the sake of a mortgage. You don't need to take this drastic route and besides, a case could be made that this is considered mortgage fraud.

You have time to find another home if you start now and the builders' home is not available.

Message 2 of 7
frugalQ
Valued Contributor

I suggest you find another place to lease until you can make more concrete decisions about purchasing your dream home.  There's no use in purchasing a home and then in a couple of years having to put that house up for sale and purchase a new one.  

Leasing will give you some time to get your financial situation together.  You can possibly get a 1 year lease with an option for early termination.  In July 204, we moved out of the house we own (turned it into a rental property) and moved into a rental.  We got a 1 year lease, with an early termination clause in it.  We terminated our lease after 8 months and moved into the home we had built. 

Good luck!!

AmEx Green NPSL | Amex BCP 16K | Citi Simplicity 10k | Discover IT 9K | Chase Slate 7.5K | Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass 7K | Capital One QuickSilver 6K | Home Depot 5k | Chase Freedom 4.5K | LOC 2.5K
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

We are still technically under contract for the new construction house, as we haven't signed the cancellation of contract yet (likely will have to this week if we don't secure some kind of financing for it though) but the price is $128k over the FHA limit for our area and since we can't carry a second and they won't do a carryback for the difference I don't think FHA will work...and we only have $20k for the down payment right now (5%) and could come up with more in a few months' time if we weren't being put under the gun by our landlord to move next month. :/ We need either more TIME or more MONEY, which unfortunately the luxury of neither available to us right now Smiley Sad

Message 4 of 7
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Than FrugalQ is right. Rent someplace with an ability to terminate early written into your lease. We do these all the time. Moving twice is not pleasant, but it is better than any of the other alternatives.

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@StartingOver10 wrote:

Don't get a divorce for the sake of a mortgage. You don't need to take this drastic route and besides, a case could be made that this is considered mortgage fraud.

Indeed. Divorce as a solution sounds like a wacky scheme from a comedy tv show with plenty of potential to backfire on you.

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

B!  If you can't find a  lender that will work with you to close on the home getting finished, then go find temp place to lease.  It sucks having to move again and again, but it is for the best. 

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.