cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When do homes become unlisted on sites like realtor.com?

tag
jessica04
Valued Member

When do homes become unlisted on sites like realtor.com?

Just out of curiousity, does anyone know when homes become unlisted on sites like realtor.com?

Starting Score: 674 8/2010
Current Score: Your TransUnion FICO® score:
On November 17, 2012

Goal Score: 720+

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
tooleman694
Valued Contributor

Re: When do homes become unlisted on sites like realtor.com?

I would think when it is pulled from MLS.

Message 2 of 7
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

@jessica04 wrote:

Just out of curiousity, does anyone know when homes become unlisted on sites like realtor.com?

There are many, many MLS vendors that feed into Realtor.com

Realtor.com accepts the listing based on the "status" of the listing. For example, if it is New or Active or Back on Market you will see the property on Realtor.com

You won't see properties for which their status reads "Pending" or "Sold".  However, there is a catagory that some MLS systems support called "Contingent". These listings that are contingent show as available on the MLS but they are under contract with a contingency that has not been satisfied. The contingency can be anything: inspections, financing or third party approval are the most common contingencies. The contingency can be short or it can be extremely long, especially in the case of a short sale.  Realtor.com picks up these types of properties and shows them as available even though they are under contract.

So are you calling the agents about certain properties and finding that they tell you its not available because its under contract?

I will tell you that in our area it looks like there are a lot of properties available on Realtor.com but when you go onto the MLS you see that a huge percentage of the properties are actually under contract with a contingency. It can be frustrating for both the buyer and the agent.

Message 3 of 7
tooleman694
Valued Contributor

My Home stayed on Realtor.com almost till we closed.

I remember getting showings when we were pending, and this was after the option period.

My realtor told me that sometimes things fall thru during the option period so it stays online.

Message 4 of 7
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

@tooleman694 wrote:

My Home stayed on Realtor.com almost till we closed.

I remember getting showings when we were pending, and this was after the option period.

My realtor told me that sometimes things fall thru during the option period so it stays online.

That's what I mean about the different catagories.

I leave the listed properties contingent until closing because it is not closed until the seller is funded. If it doesn't close, its then moved to 'back on market'. If it closes it becomes sold and automatically is deleted from Realtor.com

Your realtor sounds like they do the same thing. We don't have option period's here except in limited circumstances with a lease option contract. But we do have inspection and financing periods. It is not a good thing for the seller to take their home off the market officially during either the inspection or financing period.

"Pending" is a particular status in the MLS that officially removes it from Realtor.com so in order for it to continue to show on Realtor.com, we have to use the status just before pending, which is contingent. Some MLS's call it a different catagory, but if your agent had officially moved it to pending in their MLS, it would not have shown on Realtor.com  It allows the seller to market the property and accept a back up contract should the first one fail to close.

Message 5 of 7
hopefulKT
New Contributor

It's best to rely on your local board of realtors mls listings--they typically have their own website. Realtor.com, zillow, trulia, etc...are terrible about updating the status of listings.

Starting Score: EQ 559 (June12)
TU 651 (spouse) (June12)
November12 score (Equifax myfico):
Me: 646
Spouse: 691
Getting ready to close on our first home Smiley Happy
Message 6 of 7
jessica04
Valued Member

I was wondering because the house we are trying to buy was listed on realtor.com as a pending still show and now is gone. We and freddie mac have signed and are in the home inspection phase but it is still contigent upon financing so I was surprised that it wouldn't be listed so they could receive "back up" offers in case ours fell through. 

Starting Score: 674 8/2010
Current Score: Your TransUnion FICO® score:
On November 17, 2012

Goal Score: 720+

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.