Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where to start

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Where to start

I wanna learn about the mortgage/home buying game but I have no idea where to start . Any ideas ?
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
frugalQ
Valued Contributor

Re: Where to start

I recommend going to your bank and speaking with the mortgage department to get general/basic information about the mortgage process. Then, come back to myfico and begin reading all if the information stickies at the top of the mortgage forum.

The reason I say start with speaking to a live person first is because there's sooo much written information and most times written in a lot of jargon....you can easily get overwhelmed. Talking to a live person, you can get the basics and ask questions.

If you want to be armed with some knowledge, I recommend purchasing you EQuifax and Experian FICO scores here (paying close attention the specific scores that mortgage companies use). Then, take those mortgage scores with you. That way, you can give them an idea of what programs you may qualify for (FHA, conventional, VA, USDA).

Oh, and don't let them tell you that the scores you pull from here are not your real mortgage scores. At the beginning of February 2015, myfico began providing the score of exact versions used for mortgages...for equifax and experian only.

Good luck on your journey.
AmEx Green NPSL | Amex BCP 16K | Citi Simplicity 10k | Discover IT 9K | Chase Slate 7.5K | Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass 7K | Capital One QuickSilver 6K | Home Depot 5k | Chase Freedom 4.5K | LOC 2.5K
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Message 3 of 4
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:
I wanna learn about the mortgage/home buying game but I have no idea where to start . Any ideas ?

There is some very good information here: Helpful Threads.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.