Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why New vs Resale

tag
TimeToRecover
Established Contributor

Why New vs Resale

So this has nothing specific to do with the financial side of things but I am curious about why people (who debated the issue) decided on a new build vs resale.  I can see the advantages of both, and I can see the disadvantages of both. 

I guess I am asking why people chose the way they did.  Did they look at both and fall in love with one over the other.  Did they feel the "new" ness would mean less expense due to energy efficiencies, repairs, etc or did they feel the older established neighborhoods are better etc.  I am still torn.  It is one of the reasons I am going to look at both. 

Starting Score: 570 ish
Current Score:EX (701) EQ (711) TU (705)
Goal Score: 750
In My Wallet: GE Care Credit (8K) BestBuy (6K) BofA Cash Rewards Signature Visa (7K) Cap One Quicksilver (10.5K) Chase Freedom (4K) Lowes (6K) VS Angel Card (2.4K), Macys (4K)
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
tooleman694
Valued Contributor

Re: Why New vs Resale

We choose new so we could design our home how we wanted it.

Message 2 of 8
Barneygirl
Frequent Contributor

I am working on building my third home.  I have ONLY buit my homes.  Guess to me it's like buying a car....I only buy new, as then I KNOW that what I'm getting hasn't been neglected.

Since SO many people are struggling just to make house payments these days, I assume that regular home "maintenance" will be lacking.  And I don't want to buy someone else's neglected problem.

Besides the beauty of being able to design your own home from the bottom up and making it truly YOU.... you also get peace of mind in the lengthy warranties that come with all of the big buck components (roof, furnace, A/C, windows, etc).

Now... for anyone new to home building, don't rush into it.  There are very reputable and solid builders... and there are shady and half-bankrupt builders.  I've run into both in my search to build the perfect home.  You can usually tell pretty quickly if you can look beyond the "shine" of the new home and take a good look at the building materials.  Do they use quality flooring?  Do they install solid windows?  Are they skimping in areas that will wear quickly?  It's amazing to me how many builders out there will skimp on core foundational components... so check the models.  If they don't have one, ask if they have a past client that would let you tour their home.  Most reputable builders have many happy clients that will let a builder come through to show the house.  I would any day for my builder!! Smiley Happy

It's all a preference you know.  Buy new, buy used.... personally being a single gal, I'm more inclined to give myself a little breathing room and buy new Smiley Happy

Current FICO Scores: EQ749; TU732; EX733
Message 3 of 8
TimeToRecover
Established Contributor

Fellow Single Gal here myself. 

thank you for the feedback.  you make very good points!

In My Wallet: GE Care Credit (8K) BestBuy (6K) BofA Cash Rewards Signature Visa (7K) Cap One Quicksilver (10.5K) Chase Freedom (4K) Lowes (6K) VS Angel Card (2.4K), Macys (4K)
Message 4 of 8
beanie7132
Frequent Contributor

Not single, but I am a female Smiley Wink

We went with a new build. We looked at numerous homes. Around 25 or so. Resales are slim pickings over here. Our MAIN reason for going with a new build was because we have been renting an older home for the past 4 years. It is on the market for 169K. You wouldnt believe the issues it has including mold, single pane crank windows, cracking plaster, etc. We didnt want the headache that may or may not come with a resale. 

Message 5 of 8
topa
Regular Contributor

We looked at various new and used homes. Perhaps this is due to the local market we are interested in, but the resales were priced higher. We originally thought about purchasing a resale but after what we've seen, we are going new. By going new we avoid having to do repairs immediately, and we have the ability to negotiate options. These are major pluses, especially when it comes to structural upgrades. From our point of view, buying new makes perfect sense.

Starting Score: 600 (Jan 2014)
Current MyFICO Scores: EQ: 712 | TU: 706 | EX: 702
Current Bureau Scores: EQ Beacon 5.0: 682 | TU FICO Classic 04: 740 | EX FICO V2: 706

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 6 of 8
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

First, a little background:  I have purchased both new and resale homes for my personal use and enjoyment. I have built 3 homes out of 17 owned over the last 30 years. Quite a few of the 17 were investment properties. I too was a single female for the purchases of all but one of the properties.

I am also a Realtor and have sold well over1000 homes - resale and new construction.

My personal opinion is this:  it depends upon the specific property.  Builders deliver the new construction homes with their specs. You can upgrade to get what you need and where the price difference is most apparent is in the upgrades (where the builder boosts his bottom line). Over the years items that used to be considered standard have now morphed into extras.  Electrical upgrades is a prime example of this. Once you move into a new construction home, you have many items to install just to get it finished. Decent lighting: builders standard is awful and the extras aren't worth the $$ as an example. Fencing if applicable. Landscaping (more than builders standard). Window treatments etc. But overall, if the location is good and the builder is decent, and you have the extra funds after closing to make it yours it is not a bad way to go.  Make sure you use a third party inspector before you close to catch all the items that the builder misses on the walk through. Belive me, those items exist. Better to have a comprehensive list right from the beginning if you want the builder to take care of it. BTW, read the actual builder warranty - it's not nearly as comprehensive as what is sold by the sales reps. Know what you are buying (for real).

However, I have seen resales in better condition with more features in better locations than new construction homes. Yes, some people don't know how to take care of their homes, but there are many people that truly maintain and improve their home to a much better home than most new construction properties out there today. These homes have better locations, all the features and all the little kinks have been worked out. You can truly move right in and just decorate.

So, go out and look at both resale properties and new construction. Make sure you compare everything and go with your heart and your budget. One piece of advice:  just because it is new when you close on it doesn't mean the house can take care of itself. Put it on a maintenance schedule immediately. I have seen too many homes 3 to 5 years after they were built that look 20+ years old with no maintenance because the homeowner didn't do the proper (or any) maintenance right from purchase.

Have fun looking and deciding on your new home! Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 8
TimeToRecover
Established Contributor

Thank you startingover for the insight from both sides of the coin.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.