cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is my lender doing so many soft pulls AFTER closing?

tag
Bk2006
Established Member

Why is my lender doing so many soft pulls AFTER closing?

Just pulled my credit reports for the first time since closing on my new mortgage at the beginning of this month. I noticed that my lender and/or their affiliate has done 3 soft inquiries on EQ (and 4 on TU!) since then. "Xactus Homeside Financial" - see below. Why?

Screenshot 2022-11-21 at 10.58.05 AM.png

12/2022 TU 704 - EX 697 - EQ 705
Current Cards: PSECU $20,000 - NFCU Cash Rewards MC $21,900 - Chase Southwest $15,000 - Discover It $10,000 - Citi AAdvantage Platinum $9,500 - Apple Card $6,000 - PenFed Promise $5,000 - Truist Enjoy Cash $4,500 - Comenity Bread Cashback Amex $3,500 - BoA Customized Cash Rewards $2,800 - UVA Credit Union Visa Classic $1,600
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
MortgageMama
Regular Contributor

Re: Why is my lender doing so many soft pulls AFTER closing?

When was your closing date? Your mortgage lender will continue to refresh your report until the day of funding to make sure there are no new debts.

I believe the AR code is for an annual review of a credit card - Citibank.

Credit Karma - They must do some sort of soft pull so they can make offers to you. CK would surely get notices that a new debt (mortgage) was added, hence new opportunities to sell you stuff.

The Federal Savings Bank / Member FDIC / Equal Housing Lender / Lending in all 50 States / 25 Years in the Mortgage Industry
Message 2 of 5
Bk2006
Established Member

@MortgageMama wrote:

When was your closing date? Your mortgage lender will continue to refresh your report until the day of funding to make sure there are no new debts.

I believe the AR code is for an annual review of a credit card - Citibank.

Credit Karma - They must do some sort of soft pull so they can make offers to you. CK would surely get notices that a new debt (mortgage) was added, hence new opportunities to sell you stuff.

I closed on 11/01/22. Loan showed "finished and funded" on the mortgage originator's web site by 4 PM that day.  They also soft pulled my credit a couple of times during the underwriting process before closing, as expected, but I don't understand why they keep doing it this long after closing.

I was very open with my MLO that I like to play the "credit card points game" (love me some sign up bonuses) even before they did a HP upon pre-approval in September. Smiley Very Happy Of course I didn't apply for any new credit cards until 3 days after closing since I didn't want to mess up my DTI or take the few points FICO hit for new accounts during the mortgage underwriting process.

The only minor blip in the process: I did put about $3000 of my everyday spending (as usual) on my NFCU Cash Rewards card between late September and mid October and let a balance report on the statement, which did prompt the underwriter to ask for a "credit supplement." I had to pay it off in full before closing on the mortgage so the minimum monthly payment wouldn't be counted on my DTI. Underwriter gave me the phone number for Xactus (the same company that keeps doing all these SPs); I had to call Xactus and they got on a conference call with NFCU to verify that the account had a $0 balance after I made the payment.

Still a mystery why they are doing these SPs so long after closing.

Current Cards: PSECU $20,000 - NFCU Cash Rewards MC $21,900 - Chase Southwest $15,000 - Discover It $10,000 - Citi AAdvantage Platinum $9,500 - Apple Card $6,000 - PenFed Promise $5,000 - Truist Enjoy Cash $4,500 - Comenity Bread Cashback Amex $3,500 - BoA Customized Cash Rewards $2,800 - UVA Credit Union Visa Classic $1,600
Message 3 of 5
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

There's all sorts of things that can go wrong in the first 60 days (I think this is the date) from a lender's perspective.

Non-zero chance they will continue to soft your reports until they can bundle it up and sell it off, but I think this usually tapers down after 2 months and the payments start rolling in.  A borrower say me with a 800+ score suddenly having something stupid happen credit wise, well, that may not have the same value on the secondary market.  

I strongly suspect my lender will portfolio my loan in which case I won't get many softs like you have, but hard to say.  Your lender just by the name isn't going to portfolio it, they want to sell as quick as possible.

        
Message 4 of 5
Bk2006
Established Member

@Revelate wrote:

There's all sorts of things that can go wrong in the first 60 days (I think this is the date) from a lender's perspective.

Non-zero chance they will continue to soft your reports until they can bundle it up and sell it off, but I think this usually tapers down after 2 months and the payments start rolling in.  A borrower say me with a 800+ score suddenly having something stupid happen credit wise, well, that may not have the same value on the secondary market.  

I strongly suspect my lender will portfolio my loan in which case I won't get many softs like you have, but hard to say.  Your lender just by the name isn't going to portfolio it, they want to sell as quick as possible.

Thank you, that makes sense! In fact the very first letter I got from Homeside/Lower LLC said something to the effect of "your loan may be sold before your first payment is due, but if so don't worry - the terms of the loan won't change and you can make the payment to us unless you hear otherwise."

I knew that mortgages are packaged/sold frequently but didn't know that the portfolio accounted for the current credit status of the borrower.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.