Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wife Has New Job After Years Unemployed

tag
TnTNYC
Established Member

Wife Has New Job After Years Unemployed

She will be working for about 6 months by the time we have the down payment we want (Sept. 2013), and are ready to look seriously at our first home.  However, she's been unemployed for about 3 years, less a 6-month temp position a year ago.  Will lenders only require a few months of pay stubs to allow her inclusion to the loan process?  Will her lack of work history be a detractor to approval?  Mind you, our W2's and tax returns for those past few years will basically show only my income.

I'd like to include her on the loan so she can improve her score.

Thanks!

TnT

Starting Score: 707 (Experian); 702 (Equifax); 740 (TransUnion)
Current Score: 776 (Experian); 753 (Equifax); 780 (TransUnion) as of 09/11/2014
Goal Score: 800

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
tooleman694
Valued Contributor

Re: Wife Has New Job After Years Unemployed

If her score are good she can be on the loan but I dont think they will count her income in the ratios.

Message 2 of 4
TnTNYC
Established Member

Her scores are low-700's so am not concerned to include her from that perspective.  We won't consider her income in our own property search, so nothing lost there.  Thanks for clarifying, I really wanted her to get the boost of being on the loan.

TnT

Starting Score: 707 (Experian); 702 (Equifax); 740 (TransUnion)
Current Score: 776 (Experian); 753 (Equifax); 780 (TransUnion) as of 09/11/2014
Goal Score: 800

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 4
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

@TnTNYC wrote:

She will be working for about 6 months by the time we have the down payment we want (Sept. 2013), and are ready to look seriously at our first home.  However, she's been unemployed for about 3 years, less a 6-month temp position a year ago.  Will lenders only require a few months of pay stubs to allow her inclusion to the loan process?  Will her lack of work history be a detractor to approval?  Mind you, our W2's and tax returns for those past few years will basically show only my income.

I'd like to include her on the loan so she can improve her score.

Thanks!

TnT

depends on the letter of explanation.

why unemployed?

fha has a provision for those 're-entering the workforce'

an example of someone re-entering the workforce would be a person who chose to stay home with the kids. now they are in school and that person seeks employment again.

i heard an example of a lady who stayed out 20 something years. raised kids thru empty nest. re-entered in the same field..... and the 2yrs rule was not applied.

Retired Lender
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.