cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will I get approved for a mortgage loan?

tag
delybe

Will I get approved for a mortgage loan?

My credit score is 650, will I get approved for a FHA Mortgage loan?

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
tooleman694
Valued Contributor

Re: Will I get approved for a mortgage loan?

Depends on what kind of bad stuff you have recently on your report and if your income and DTI works.

Message 2 of 8
delybe

No collections and 29% credit card utilization with income of $100K and house purchase of $160K

Message 3 of 8
Mike_B03
Valued Contributor

Is that your middle score out of the three bureaus or your highest one? When applying for a mortgage, they pull all three scores and use the middle score. The score needs to be above a 640, which yours is, so you should be ok there. The question is, as already mentioned, what other things are on your credit and what is your income/debt ratio. If you have had foreclosures/short sales/bankruptcies recently, that could be a road block, but it depends on how recent they were.
Message 4 of 8
delybe

I have no collections.  I do have balances on the credit cards at about half the limit.  I am not sure of all 3 of my scores.  That score just shows up on creditkarma.com

Message 5 of 8
delybe

I just figured my DTI will be 32% with the new house payment.

Message 6 of 8
Mike_B03
Valued Contributor

Don't go by Credit Karma. Get your scores from MyFico.com.

My Credit Karma score is 633, while the TransUnion credit score pulled on my mortgage application was 557. Luckily my Equifax was 672 and Experian 642.

As for your debt to income, did you calculate all monthly debts that you owe...credit cards, auto loans, student loans (even if deferred), store cards? If 32% is your true DTI (including the new house payment, insurance, HOA fee, property taxes, and all other monthly debts) then that is very good, you need to generally be at 43% or lower though some lender will go above that by a generous amount.

Message 7 of 8
tooleman694
Valued Contributor

100k a year income and a 160k home, yeah your DTI should be very low.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.