Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will I look stupid? haha

tag
FrugalRican
Blogger

Re: Will I look stupid? haha

Don't be bummed out.

Consider this an opportunity, even if you don't see it as one.

It gives you time to better know the area and to weigh your options a little better. You'll be fine, just because you might not be able to meet guidelines right now, meets you won't be able to in a few months.

Follow my financial journey: http://www.frugalrican.com

EQ FICO (01/16/2012): 656 - EQ FICO (02/16/2012): 743 - EQ (02/24/2012): 760 - EX (04/28/2012): 739 - GOAL 2013: 800+

AMEX BCE (0/10K) --- BOA 1-2-3 (0/15.9K) --- Discover More (0/6K) --- Chase Freedom Visa (0/1.4K) -- Hyatt Visa Sign. (0/5.8K) -- Barclay's NFL Card (0/7.5K) -- Chase Sapphire Preferred (0/5K)

Message 11 of 30
jules0580
Regular Contributor

Smiley Sad Well Im sorry to hear that, but on the positive side, it gives you time to work on getting your score even higher, and you know what you need and you can be totally prepared when the 12 month mark hits as well as have more savings.

Message 12 of 30
LondonMassey
Frequent Contributor

I would try a broker... I have one credit card, and at the time of my application, it had been open 6 months. My credit history averages at 6 yrs 7 months though, but I have no other trade lines. I am going through underwriting now and not once has my LO questioned only having one line of credit. Quickens had an issue with it though. They wanted me to wait 3 months. I'm going FHA.

Cap1(sc) 550, Cap1 750, Walmart 750, Home Depot 3000, Amazon 700, US Bank 1500, Childrens Place 1100, JC Penney 700, Old Navy 700, PayPal 700, Torrid 700, Lane Bryant 150, Avenue 500, OSP 500, Amex Blue 2000, Disc it 1000, Walmart Disc 2200, Old Navy Visa 1700, Mortgage 09-2012, Car Loan 03-2013

Current Score: EQ 665 EX 687 TU 695

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 13 of 30
jcstarkey8826
Established Contributor

good news I guess. I have a friend that is a loan officer at an old bank. He knows my whole situation, credit profile, work history, etc.

He said the tradelines wouldnt stop me with him, because they are all in good standing and 2 are 7 years old. He doesnt do USDA though Smiley Sad

so id have to go FHA, which means saving more money than anticipated and will probably be january before we have our down payment, closing costs, and cushion saved up.

Im going to try a broker I spoke with before, because he wanted my scores around 660, but i told him what credit i had, that i just moved and started work, and my credit building progress. He said I should be good to go, I just told him I wanted to wait to save more money and get my score as high as possible before applying. Ill check back with him and make sure he doesnt need 3 TLs that are a year old.

still crossing fingers lol

In my wallet: Discover it 6800 CL, Capital One Quicksilver Sig 5k CL, Chase Freedom 4k CL, GCU Patinum Visa 1500 CL
Message 14 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree with the earlier poster. I had (1) 5 year tradeline and (1) 3 month tradeline open when I was preapproved for USDA. I had just paid off my truck note and another loan to lower my DTI.

Message 15 of 30
GoodCredBen
Valued Contributor

If it was me, i would honestly wait.....

Your scores will benefit you a lot more and make the process a LOT easier...

Save money as well....

Think of your scores if everything aged another 6 months... use the fico scoring calculator thinger.... 

Good things come to those who wait....

My credit journey has completed. I am currently sitting at 800+ across the board.

I started my journey here years ago, and thanks to MyFico, it really is possible.
Message 16 of 30
rckstrscott
Valued Contributor

@FairCredBen wrote:

Save money as well....

Think of your scores if everything aged another 6 months... use the fico scoring calculator thinger.... 

Agreed. I thought I was ready in July last year, talked to Shane from the board, and he was like 'ehhh maybe wait a little while'

started again this spring, and it was smooth sailing. Met all score requirments by plenty, had the money, a gift funds had aged, and had a fast and smooth close.

-scott

Starting FICO Score: October 2010: TU 498 | EQ: 502
Current FICO Scores:: May 2022: TU: 784 | EQ: 770 | EX: 790
Message 17 of 30
jcstarkey8826
Established Contributor

@rckstrscott wrote:

@FairCredBen wrote:

Save money as well....

Agreed. I thought I was ready in July last year, talked to Shane from the board, and he was like 'ehhh maybe wait a little while'

started again this spring, and it was smooth sailing. Met all score requirments by plenty, had the money, a gift funds had aged, and had a fast and smooth close.

-scott

The FICO calculator says 3 months Im safe, 6 months says I should be golden, but I was wanting to "shop" short sales in september, thinking it would be at least 6 months (from today) before I closed on a house, as long as my scores are there, but now I cant even shop for 6 months making it 9 months to a year before I'll close. From what I can tell, your scores either make it or they dont, no added benefit financially for someone with a 690 compared to 620. So as long as my scores are around 649-699 in three months (per myfico calculator). I would like to get the pre-approval letter so that I can get a realtor and start shopping houses, knowing the whole time im waiting for the banks approval and finding a house, my score is steadily going up, but Im not delaying the process.

I try to look at things objectively and dont want to rush into home ownership, but as long as my score is where it says it will be in three months, broker accepts USDA w/o tradelines like others have done on here, and I am financially prepared i.e. savings, low DTI, no CC debt, etc. I would feel confident applying and getting pre-approval letter that will give me the ability to look and put offers on short sale properties.

So honest opinion, as long as the above criteria are accurate 3 months from now, would you feel confident in doing it if you could find someone willing to work with your tradeline issue? Or am I not being objective, and still need to wait? and for what reasons (benefits) should I wait if the above is accurate?

Thanks guys! Im really enjoying everyones feedback, and am glad to hear that people work with the tradeline issue. Maybe because it was a lender she couldnt work around it, but Im hoping a broker might be able to? If not I'll start again in 6 months lol Smiley Happy

In my wallet: Discover it 6800 CL, Capital One Quicksilver Sig 5k CL, Chase Freedom 4k CL, GCU Patinum Visa 1500 CL
Message 18 of 30
FrugalRican
Blogger

I would wait.

You seem VERY anxious about NOW, NOW, NOW.

There are people "willing" to work with you, but I'd rather be in a much better position. Although 6 months flies by, it's also a LOT of time in the credit world.

Go browse through the mortgage loans, too many cautionary tales of "Barely meeting the requirements, what can I do?". I'm taking those lessons learned so when it's my time, I have absolutely NO doubt that I meet every single requirement that can be thrown at me. Do the same. Take the time. Do your research. Weigh your options. Learn the new area you moved to. See what is best out there, price ranges, etc, etc, etc...

You have time. Use it.

Follow my financial journey: http://www.frugalrican.com

EQ FICO (01/16/2012): 656 - EQ FICO (02/16/2012): 743 - EQ (02/24/2012): 760 - EX (04/28/2012): 739 - GOAL 2013: 800+

AMEX BCE (0/10K) --- BOA 1-2-3 (0/15.9K) --- Discover More (0/6K) --- Chase Freedom Visa (0/1.4K) -- Hyatt Visa Sign. (0/5.8K) -- Barclay's NFL Card (0/7.5K) -- Chase Sapphire Preferred (0/5K)

Message 19 of 30
jcstarkey8826
Established Contributor

@FrugalRican wrote:

I would wait.

You seem VERY anxious about NOW, NOW, NOW.

There are people "willing" to work with you, but I'd rather be in a much better position. Although 6 months flies by, it's also a LOT of time in the credit world.

Go browse through the mortgage loans, too many cautionary tales of "Barely meeting the requirements, what can I do?". I'm taking those lessons learned so when it's my time, I have absolutely NO doubt that I meet every single requirement that can be thrown at me. Do the same. Take the time. Do your research. Weigh your options. Learn the new area you moved to. See what is best out there, price ranges, etc, etc, etc...

You have time. Use it.

Thats the hard part lol I have been doing all of that for the past 2 years, bringing scores up to 650: check (in 3 months), have the money for downpayment: check, get to know the area: double check, weighed options: check, price range: check. So now waiting is just sitting back and tapping my foot lol I was just wondering if I can qualify in three months, why wait six? if my score is 650 in three, whats better about 690 in six?

And Im not anxious for NOW NOW NOW, its more like 3 MONTHS 3 MONTHS 3 MONTHS!!! lol I live in Michigan so the three month timing is perfect to try and beat the winter, so that is a factor. I just didnt see a difference in waiting three extra months as long as my score was solid in three months, why wait six? thats all. I have my past 2 years w2s, paystubs, LOE for the 2 derogs on my CR, etc. but I guess I'll just hold on. If Its not in a few months, ill have to wait out the winter and hang in there a bit longer.

Poor in-laws haha (we moved in with them for huge savings for the house)

Message 20 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.