Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will a dispute of equifax prevent me from getting loan

tag
Ks18
New Visitor

Will a dispute of equifax prevent me from getting loan

I have excellent credit but just called equifax today to get a wrongful charge taken off my account. It is in dispute now and they said it will take 30 days. I just purchased a house and when it goes through underwriting for the mortgage I'm afraid this dispute will prevent me from getting a loan. Is this true?  How can I close this dispute.  I was on the phone with equifax for an hour today and got the as response, wait 30 days blah blah. I need it removed ASAP. The company that put the charge on is no longer in business. What do I do?  Any help will be appreciated?  running out of time and I'm stressing out. Thanks 

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
mccallb
Frequent Contributor

Re: Will a dispute of equifax prevent me from getting loan

If you already have excellent credit, and you were already approved, your credit score will just become more excellent.  I don't believe there is any flag that says "youre in dispute" on anything.

But with an already good score, you should have nothing to fear.

CK EQ: 730 / CK TU: 735 / EXP FICO: 721 / EX Vantage: 793 / Total Exposure: 112K
Message 2 of 10
Ks18
New Visitor

I was preapproved. then indicated the dispute on my credit. Now underwriting says they won't give me a loan since I have an open dispute. How can improve it. I need this gone in a week so I can get this house. any help would be amazingly appreciated. I spoke to numerous people for an hour today ad equifax and they said they can't do anything for me. I need any help at all. I have been researching all night and haven't come up with anything. Thank you for your time. 

Message 3 of 10
Ks18
New Visitor

I will be applying for a conventional loan with 20% down. My credit scores were 801 and 784.  If that matters any. 

Message 4 of 10
Ks18
New Visitor

And 9% debt to income ratio. 

Message 5 of 10
mccallb
Frequent Contributor

I am really sorry. I don't know enough to help you. I truly do apologize and hope someone else here knows better than I.

CK EQ: 730 / CK TU: 735 / EXP FICO: 721 / EX Vantage: 793 / Total Exposure: 112K
Message 6 of 10
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Message 7 of 10
sghosh5
Valued Contributor

I recently contacted Equifax & Transunion to remove my disputes. I am still almost 6-7 months away from my home purchase. Both the bureaus removed the comments with a day and both my EQ & TU scores dropped almost by 10 points. So it is true if one negative account has 'Consumer Disputes' comment on it,the effect of the account on your scores are much less.

Shell FCU : 5K
Message 8 of 10
Peter1142
Established Contributor

It seems reading these forums that dispute comments do in fact lessen the effect of the baddie on your scores. Interesting. I don't think FICO acnowledges this.

Message 9 of 10
newmomnewme
Valued Contributor

When I took all the dispute comments off a few months ago, all of my scores dropped a few points....so I think that while "in dispute" or "noted as a dispute" maybe the baddie is NOT calculated in scoring. I have also read that collections (paid or unpaid) are not scored. 

012019 Fico8/Mortgage Score:
Current Fico9/Fico8/Mortgage Score:
MyGoal Fico8/Mortgage Score:
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.