cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will charge off prevent mortgage loan approval?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Will charge off prevent mortgage loan approval?

I will be applying for a mortgage in 3 months or so, will this 6.6 Yrs old Cap one auto charge off prevent me from getting approved for a conventional mortgage loan? Thanks
Fico scores
Eqx 657 TU697 Exp677
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Will charge off prevent mortgage loan approval?

I'd like to add the balance shows 0 balance on this charge off on the credit report. Thanks.
Message 2 of 7
frugalQ
Valued Contributor

No, it shouldn't as long as it's paid. However, I recommend getting to 680 mid score for conventional...or you will def pay in interest rate and PMI rate.
AmEx Green NPSL | Amex BCP 16K | Citi Simplicity 10k | Discover IT 9K | Chase Slate 7.5K | Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass 7K | Capital One QuickSilver 6K | Home Depot 5k | Chase Freedom 4.5K | LOC 2.5K
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you frugalQ, i'm hoping my scores will be going up. After reading info in these forms I should be keeping a balance, which i was not. I was paying all 13 credit cards in full each month, starting april i will let 1% util report on my highest CL CC. I really took a dive in score when i decided to go an app spree in jan...totally bad move. I'm not worried.. Only time will help my score recover...since i pay everything on time and will be in the garden till 2016. Any other sug to get my score up?
Message 4 of 7
frugalQ
Valued Contributor

Outside of playing the utilization game, I don't know of any other quick ways to increase scores.

Some people may say to try and get the charge off account removed, but with it being almost 7 years old, it's probably not making a big negative impact on your scores...and if you remove it, it may drop the score because it reduces your AAoA.
AmEx Green NPSL | Amex BCP 16K | Citi Simplicity 10k | Discover IT 9K | Chase Slate 7.5K | Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass 7K | Capital One QuickSilver 6K | Home Depot 5k | Chase Freedom 4.5K | LOC 2.5K
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@frugalQ wrote:
Outside of playing the utilization game, I don't know of any other quick ways to increase scores.

Some people may say to try and get the charge off account removed, but with it being almost 7 years old, it's probably not making a big negative impact on your scores...and if you remove it, it may drop the score because it reduces your AAoA.

Ditto ^

Message 6 of 7
Lemmus
Established Contributor

...I can only speak from personal experience ...I had one neg left on EQ only ...an unpaid med for ~$600 that had a DOFD of 07/2008 ...when EQ deleted it early only a few days ago, my score jumped 70 points ...677 to 747 ...no other changes in the report ...so I think I can say with confidence that a single 6.6 yo med neg was having a negative 70 point effect ...ymmv ...hth

Helpful Links: Do I Qualify? | Mortgage Calculator | USDA Mortgages | Opt Out | FICO Versions
Last HP: 11/04/15 | myFico 3B Jun 10 '15:FICO8 EQ - 752 | TU - 763 | EX - 750
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.