Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will it hurt your credit if you try for another preapproval

tag
tishmomof2
Valued Member

Will it hurt your credit if you try for another preapproval

I have posted before about the preapproval with USAA in witch we got  last month around the 28th, Usaa is really dragging on our commitment letter, I would love to just go somehwere else, but I would hate to mess our chances up with them if they see we have had our credit pulled once again

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
MYFICOisWACKO2
Contributor

Re: Will it hurt your credit if you try for another preapproval

I will not answer to the question about the credit but I will respond to say that you dont want to get yourself caught up with a firm that is not working in your favor to get you closer to closing.  This early in the process might be better for you to make your move to another company that is eager for your business.  Cause you dont want to to be at the point where you have a huge file created and then you are ready to walk but you are compelled to stay cause you dont want to start the process all over again with someone. 

Wishing you the best of luck

myFICOisNOTWACKO but MYFICOisWACKO get it?!?
6.18.2011Lender pull:
EX-640 Fair Issac V2/TUClassic 04-658/EQ Beacon 5-741
5.20.2011 myFICO pulls:
TU 789 EQ 727
Closed on home 6/27/2011! 180K 4.625% Thanks myFICO!
Message 2 of 5
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

Applying with another lender shouldn't hurt your chances of approval with the current lender.  They may want you to think that to prevent you from applying elsewhere, but as long as the credit checks were done within 30 days of each the 2nd lenders credit check should reflect the same scores as USAA.  USAA may recheck credit just prior to closing, and see there is another inquiry, and ask you to explain, but as long as you aren't taking out additional debt then it shouldn't be an issue if you eventually want to stick with USAA.

Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 3 of 5
mauve
Valued Contributor

I'd check out more than one other lender, too. 

I ended up having mortgage inquiries across 4 months and it didn't hurt my scores that I could tell and I just had to sign a statement saying that I hadn't acquired new credit based on those inquiries.  So, worst case, you know what your other options are.  Incidentally, slow-to-answer-questions was the reason I eliminated one of the lenders I considered.  (The others: only did conventional loans, only did streamline 203ks). 

Starting Score: EQ 583 TU04 619 EX 592 (lender pull) 2010
Previous High Score: EQ 700 TU04 712 EX 726
Current Score: EQ 740 TU(Discover) 750 EX(AMEX) 747
Goal Score: 740+ all around

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

You should be fine if you choose to shop around. You will need to sign the new disclosure of "No New Debt" at closing anyway, and it would show any inquiries. There should not be a big impact on your scores.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.