cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will underwriter give you a range of mortgage costs you can qualify for?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Will underwriter give you a range of mortgage costs you can qualify for?

Lets say I want to buy a house.

Can I try to get approved for a range instead of 1 specific value?

For example could I apply and tell the underwriter "I want 300k as a minimum but if possible I'd like to qualify up to 400k"

Will they do that or will they only qualify me for one number at time?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Will underwriter give you a range of mortgage costs you can qualify for?

They will tell you the max you will qualify for but you can ask them to put a lower amount on the pre approval letter (just not higher).

Message 2 of 4
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

@Anonymous wrote:

Lets say I want to buy a house.

Can I try to get approved for a range instead of 1 specific value?

For example could I apply and tell the underwriter "I want 300k as a minimum but if possible I'd like to qualify up to 400k"

Will they do that or will they only qualify me for one number at time?

As stated above, they will qualify you for your max payment (max mortgage) with certain assumptions.  Those assumptions include the following:

• property taxes
  • homeowners insurance
  • HOA/COA if applicable

Naturally, those figures change with the selection of the actual property so you want to know your max so you can choose a property with expenses that will be less than your maximum payment. You can have two properties that are listed at the very same price and have entirely different payments due to the above three items. 

Having said the above, when you speak to your Realtor, it is very common for the buyer to give a range of values from $X to $Y.  That is one of the ways we screen properties for our buyers.  I work with buyers all the time that qualify, for example, $400k but only want to spend $325k.  You are the buyer. You get to set your budget. But I don't suggest sending in a pre-approval with $325k on a $325k offer, especially in a multi-offer situation. You look weak on paper.  If you are making an offer for a $325k home, then send in your $400k approval. The seller won't be afraid that you will bomb out during the approval process. It's a strategy to show you have a capacity to buy. If you think the seller will come back with a higher counteroffer due to your pre-approval amount - that is a myth. The price you end up with is the price you negotiated through your Realtor - there is no downside to showing you are a strong buyer. 

Message 3 of 4
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

When you apply for a loan, you speak with the loan officer and not the underwriter.  The loan officer submits your loan to underwriting for the amount you want to get approved for (which I suggest is the max that you would want to purchase a home for).  The underwriter will only review your loan for that specific amount, if you can't get approved for it then they'll send the file back to the loan officer for them to re-work everything at a lower sales price (assuming your debt ratio was too high to qualify for the higher sales price).  The underwriter also won't tell the loan officer that you could've been approved for more, the loan officer will just have to crunch the numbers to determine how much more you could potentially get approved for.

Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.