Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

another judgement question

tag
MissKay
Contributor

another judgement question

Does a judgement absolutely have to be paid prior to getting a mortgage?  I am hearing 2 different stories from 2 different loan officers.

Thanks

Starting Score: 595 2/5/12
Current Score: 650 midscore lender pull 7/24/12
Goal Score: 640

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Re: another judgement question

It really depends on underwriting, and maybe on the size of the judgement as well, but you will likely be asked to pay any open collection or judgements.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 2 of 7
MissKay
Contributor

It's Midland and I just hate them lol.  It's for $644, but was hoping to settle for less with the collection agency that currently has it.  I just got a paid for deletion and a settlement on another item.  This is my last debt.  I guess I should just bite the bullet. Smiley Sad

thanks

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've heard of some lenders accepting a payment plan but you would have to have payments already paid out to them. I think they require 10-12 on time  payments under a payment plan before you can apply for a mortgage, but I'm not exactly sure though.

The other option is paying it off. I remember when paying my husband's judgment he was able to settle for less than the amount owed and it was considered satisfied. Would you be willing to do that?

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

If it's something you CAN pay, and are going to be looking for a mortgage soon, my suggestion is to bite the bullet and pay it to get it out from under you. One less stress to deal with in an already stressful situation. You will feel so much better afterwards (at least I did) :-)

Message 5 of 7
MissKay
Contributor

Yup, makes sense. It does feel good to be almost debt free. Maybe they will do a good settlement. I got 1 for half earlier today.

Message 6 of 7
bbb3601
Frequent Contributor

If you are firm with midland and have a higher level CSR they will settle for more than less. Don't tell them why you want to pay it.......they offered 50% on mine I countered with 40% paid then over the phone. If you offer to pay while speaking with them they bite harder. It may take a few weeks to get your letter though.

NFCU Cash Rewards 20,000,NFCU Plat 17,000, NavCheck 15,000, USAA Cash 4,000, USSA Rate Adv 2,000, USAA AMEX 3,500, Freedom 2,000, Capital One 2,000, Barclay's Apple 1,500, Barclay's Ring 1500, Various Store Cards.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.