cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

are cards alone good enough to build up credit for a mortgage?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

are cards alone good enough to build up credit for a mortgage?

i'm building my credit from scratch, here's where i'm at so far

current cards:

generic mastercard (age:6mo, limit:$1500)

discoverIt (age:3mo, limit:$500)

stats:

Fico8: TransUnion = 733, Experian = 717, Equifax = none.

Average age of Accts: 4mo.

Inquires: 2 (one on EQ, one on EX)

always perfect payment history, low utils, no bad marks.

i am prequalified for:

amex: everyday card, BCE card, green card. no starting limits or aprs are mentioned.

capitalOne: anything i want including the venture w/ $5000+ starting limit.

creditOne: Platinum card, up to a $2000 starting limit.

*not* prequalified for chase or citi.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ok, so here's the problem. i need a better and thicker credit file to qualify for mortgages. i might need to buy a house next year.

opening a credit-builder loan would drop my fico score a lot, but i can add 3 or 4 cards with only a tiny ding to my score. maybe 10 or 15pts, recoverable in 6mo.

lets say i app-spree and add 3 cards today: BCE,  paypal 2%, savorOne.

that will put me at 5 cards in 7 months. would anyone take AA against me for this?

what would you suggest me to do?

5 REPLIES 5
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

Re: are cards alone good enough to build up credit for a mortgage?

Don't get a Credit One card.

Why are you thinking that there'd be a score drop with the loan? I think it would likely be a good move. There's probably someone who know mortgages better than I do, but I think I'd go for the loan and two cards.

Message 2 of 6
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

For best FICO scoring starting out is 3 revolvers and 1 installment loan. Self Lender would be fine. You already have 2 cards. Only need 1 more. No need to go and get up to 5 cards. Thats more inq's against you. More credit doesnt mean higher scores. PayPal would be single pull. Savor1 triple pull. AMEX so soon in a rebuild might be a denial. Let them age and go from there.

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Most important issue with a mortgage qualification is your income (affordability) and DTI. Your scores are already A paper. I've never (very seldom) seen a lower mortgage rate when middle Fico exceeded 740.
Update: BTW, my tone may not indicate, but major props for thinking ahead.  I'm sure some tweaks and suggestions will follow to optimize your scores. 
@Anonymous wrote:

ok, so here's the problem. i need a better and thicker credit file to qualify for mortgages.

Message 4 of 6
Andypanda
Established Contributor

Try checking out or posting in the mortgage section of the forum.

Message 5 of 6
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

i'm building my credit from scratch, here's where i'm at so far

current cards:

generic mastercard (age:6mo, limit:$1500)

discoverIt (age:3mo, limit:$500)

stats:

Fico8: TransUnion = 733, Experian = 717, Equifax = none.

Average age of Accts: 4mo.

Inquires: 2 (one on EQ, one on EX)

always perfect payment history, low utils, no bad marks.

i am prequalified for:

amex: everyday card, BCE card, green card. no starting limits or aprs are mentioned.

capitalOne: anything i want including the venture w/ $5000+ starting limit.

creditOne: Platinum card, up to a $2000 starting limit.

*not* prequalified for chase or citi.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ok, so here's the problem. i need a better and thicker credit file to qualify for mortgages. i might need to buy a house next year.

opening a credit-builder loan would drop my fico score a lot, but i can add 3 or 4 cards with only a tiny ding to my score. maybe 10 or 15pts, recoverable in 6mo.

lets say i app-spree and add 3 cards today: BCE,  paypal 2%, savorOne.

that will put me at 5 cards in 7 months. would anyone take AA against me for this?

what would you suggest me to do?

It won't help your mortgage scores.

The best thing you could do for your mortgage scores is NOT apply for any new credit until after the closing.

And apart from your scores it won't help you with the mortgage loan officers; they'd rather you had less revolving credit available than more.

So don't apply for anything. Period.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.