cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

calculator to guess whether you'd qualify - first time homebuyer, & tax question

tag
1t2b
Contributor

calculator to guess whether you'd qualify - first time homebuyer, & tax question

This may be a stab in the dark, but wondering if there's any sort of software or calculator in which you could input your personal info (e.g. MMS, income, DTI) and it can tell you if you're likely to qualify and for how much? Obviously not possible to be absolutely perfect, but an idea would be great. We're about to start the process and I'm in a bit of a panic right now. 

Also I didn't realize that they check your tax returns. We filed for an extension this year. We're due a large refund from federal and owe state, which we'll pay with federal refund. I just finished it up on HR when I learned these are checked. Is the fact that it hasn't officially gone through going to disqualify us?

TIA I don't think I've felt this level of anxiety since my oldest child was born.

2 REPLIES 2
MortgageMama
Regular Contributor

Re: calculator to guess whether you'd qualify - first time homebuyer, & tax question

Most lenders have a calculator online, but they want you to enter your email and contact info (then they start bugging you). A quick search reveals that Nerd Wallet has a calculator that doesn't capture your information. It's not bad, but make sure you know precisely your other monthly debt as well as the real estate taxes (annual taxes divided by 12). Their calculator will give you a purchase price based on your entries. However, it does not calculate PMI, which is a cost based on your down payment amount and credit score. You should not consider using a calculator like a pre-approval, but it will give you what you want - an idea.

The Federal Savings Bank / Member FDIC / Equal Housing Lender / Lending in all 50 States / 25 Years in the Mortgage Industry
Message 2 of 3
1t2b
Contributor

Re: calculator to guess whether you'd qualify - first time homebuyer, & tax question

Thanks!

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.