cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

can I get an FHA loan without PMI insurance?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

can I get an FHA loan without PMI insurance?

Can I get an FHA loan without PMI if I have 30% down?   I have credit problems which is why I am thinking of FHA.  No lates in the last 18 months.

thanks!!
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: can I get an FHA loan without PMI insurance?

love2golf wrote:
Can I get an FHA loan without PMI if I have 30% down?   I have credit problems which is why I am thinking of FHA.  No lates in the last 18 months.

thanks!!

No pro here, but AFAIK if LTV is 80% or less (30% DP= 70% LTV) there is no requirement for PMI.
GL
Message 2 of 8
Junejer
Moderator Emeritus

Anderson's correct. Below 80%, no PMI required.

Starting Score: 469
Current Score: 846
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 8
sh9730
Regular Contributor

Not true with FHA loans. ALL FHA loans have Mortgage Insurance UNLESS you are doing a 15 year loan with 20% or more down (could be 10% down but I think its 20).  But on any 30 year loan they require MI for 5 years (approx). 
Message 4 of 8
sh9730
Regular Contributor

However, if you are worried about being able to GET MI (because of your lower credit scores), dont be.  All the new rules for MI do not apply to FHA loans (yet).
Message 5 of 8
Junejer
Moderator Emeritus

Sux hard. I have to read my aunt's paperwork tomorrow. This might be why her payment is hurting. So, if I have 50% down, I still need PMI?

Starting Score: 469
Current Score: 846
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 6 of 8
sh9730
Regular Contributor

Yep...thats the way I understand it....and Ive been reading ALOT about FHA mortgages from numerous sources lately as I am about to embark on that same journey...
Message 7 of 8
SanDiegoEngineer
Regular Contributor

Been looking into these as well.  

As I understand it, the only way to get around the FHA's mortgage insurance is to have both:
1)  a LTV below 90%   AND
2)  a term of 15 years or less.

So there is no way to get a 30 year FHA mortgage without insurance.  If you can swing a 15 year, then it can be done with the right down payment.

As a side note, the FICO score requirements for PMI don't apply to FHA because the FHA mortgage insurance isn't technically PMI (provided by an outside insuror) - it's their own in-house insurance.  If you qualify for FHA at all, you qualify for their insurance. 
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.