cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

denied mortgage due to Paid In Full Charge Off?

tag
Logeese

denied mortgage due to Paid In Full Charge Off?

Was pre approved for a mortgage loan with a credit score of 625. We decided to go conventional as we have 20% down to avoid PMI on the FHA loan. I have some doctor bills that got put on our credit report (paid them before applying for loan) and a charge off that is paid in full. The charge off was on a equity line of credit. In 2009 we fell behind on our bills but now everything is good and i have not been late on anything in almost 2 years. The Mortgage broker told me this was not a problem in the beginning and to start looking for our dream home.  We found one and are under contract, did the home inspection which was $425 and now all of sudden the charge off is a problem. Mortgage broker is saying you cannot get a mortgage loan with a charge off on your credit report at all. Is this true? The charge off happened in 2010 and i paid it in full 03/2012. I really wish he woulld have told me this in the beginning we have wasted months looking at homes plus i have money into a home inspection, buyer made repairs for me that were found and i also have 1000 put down in good faith that i hope i do not lose.

He is currently trying to delete it from my credit report buy showing them my paid in full letter before submitting to underwriter but he says if they wont remove it will be denied and i cannot apply for a mortage till it falls off.  Is it normal to get approved and then denied when nothing changed on report?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
frugalQ
Valued Contributor

Re: denied mortgage due to Paid In Full Charge Off?

I would run from that broker faster than Usain Bolt.

People are getting mortgages with prior foreclosures still reporting on their credit.....and that's the granddaddy of charge offs! I can understand if he had said that the charge off would have to age a bit longer, but to say you will be denied until it falls off is suspect...IMO.

Maybe this broker uses conservative lenders or something. You should apply with a different lender/broker.
AmEx Green NPSL | Amex BCP 16K | Citi Simplicity 10k | Discover IT 9K | Chase Slate 7.5K | Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass 7K | Capital One QuickSilver 6K | Home Depot 5k | Chase Freedom 4.5K | LOC 2.5K
Message 2 of 6
newhouse2013
Regular Contributor

I have two paid charge offs on my report and have already been approved through UW. I would try someone else. 

Starting Score: 529
Current Score: EQF 643, TU 677 EXP 631,Lender Pulled Aug 2, 2013 EX 665, TU 664 and EQF 643
Goal Score: 701

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 6
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

The issue is that it was a HELOC that was charged-off.  If it was just a regular credit card then that isn't a dealkiller, but a charge-off on a HELOC is usually looked at as the same as a foreclosure, and if you are going with conventional financing most lenders will look at that as a foreclosure.  Best case is it'd be considered 120+ days late from the charge-off until you paid it, which was in in 3/12... or around 2 years of 120+ day mortgage lates.  For mortgage payment lates that severe you would probably need at least 2 years from when that occurred.  FHA may be more forgiving if the charge-off occurred over 3 years ago.

Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 4 of 6
Logeese

so the two years start from 03/12?  Thanks!

Message 5 of 6
cocomadd
Regular Contributor

If you really need the home go FHA they may have looser guildlines, you can still put the 20% down to help with payments.

Exp/647-Fako
EQ/629-Fico
Trans/656-Fako
NEW SCORES
EX/665
EQ/642
Trans/656 Fako

This is new to me but I will take the 750+ challenge! Goal by May 2014
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.