cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

do I need to disclose my previous bankruptcy?

tag
ChangiBear
New Contributor

do I need to disclose my previous bankruptcy?

I have a bankruptcy from 2002 that came off my credit reports last month.  I have since seen my credit reports (as pulled by Chase bank last week) and the bankruptcy does not show up anymore.  I am filling out a mortgage application with one of my local banks, and one of the questions is "have you ever filed for bankruptcy?".  Should I say 'no' since it no longer shows on my report?  I'm reluctant to say 'yes' because the rep at the bank said that they frown upon bankruptcies.  Thanks for any advice.

Cleared to Close on 9/9/13!
Closing on 9/17/13

8/31/12 FICO 733 (lender pulled)
1/7/13 Transunion 718, Equifax 710 (MyFico)
2/20/13 Equifax 729
8/13/13 Ex 751, Eq 766, TU 741 (all lender pulls)
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Re: do I need to disclose my previous bankruptcy?

@ChangiBear wrote:

I have a bankruptcy from 2002 that came off my credit reports last month.  I have since seen my credit reports (as pulled by Chase bank last week) and the bankruptcy does not show up anymore.  I am filling out a mortgage application with one of my local banks, and one of the questions is "have you ever filed for bankruptcy?".  Should I say 'no' since it no longer shows on my report?  I'm reluctant to say 'yes' because the rep at the bank said that they frown upon bankruptcies.  Thanks for any advice.

Since the question is "have you ever filed for bankruptcy" you need to answer yes.

If the question was Have you filed bankruptcy in last X years (7, 8 or 10 yrs)? Then you could say "no".

(Please note: It is fraud to lie on a mortgage application in order to make your financials appear better than they are to induce the bank to loan you money.)

Besides the BK will show up in your public records even if the notation is off of your credit report.

Message 2 of 4
ChangiBear
New Contributor

Thank you. I'll disclose it and hope for the best.
Cleared to Close on 9/9/13!
Closing on 9/17/13

8/31/12 FICO 733 (lender pulled)
1/7/13 Transunion 718, Equifax 710 (MyFico)
2/20/13 Equifax 729
8/13/13 Ex 751, Eq 766, TU 741 (all lender pulls)
Message 3 of 4
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Good luck! Disclosing it it the right thing to do. People get mortgages everyday, 3 yrs post BK. Just be positive Smiley Happy
FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.