cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

hardship refinancing attempt: close accounts now or later?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

hardship refinancing attempt: close accounts now or later?

I have a $108,000 home equity line of credit that is about to go into repayment.  I have asked Bank of America to consider hardship refinancing on the account which is not late and is current.  I will call tomorrow.  From what I understand, they will assign me a case manager and I will need to do a lot of paperwork.  My income and expenses will be evaluated.  I assume this will have a major impact on my credit which is in the 700-710 range.  I have $20,000 in savings and owe that much on a new car loan.  My income is $50K.  No credit card debt.  I have six cards and am considering closing them all which will probably happen when I file hardship.  Two AMEX, two Chase a discover and a NFCU  VISA.   One AMEX card is 25 years old-a gift of backdating when I got the card in 2013, the last time I was late paying the line of credit.  In 2010 I had numerous 120 day lates, $70000 in credit card debt and many settlements.  I'm 55 and in poor mental and fair physical health.  I am on disability for bipolar disorder, a curious gift from the VA and Social Security.  Wounded combat veterans get nothing and I live high on the hog, relatively speaking.  Life isn't fair.

Does anyone have experience with hardship financing?  What should I do with my cards?  Who the heck cares?

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: hardship refinancing attempt: close accounts now or later?

Sorry to hear about what you are going through.  I don't have an answer for you and hopefully, someone who has experienced this will answer your question.  Hang in there.

Message 2 of 3
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Re: hardship refinancing attempt: close accounts now or later?

I don't think closing your cards is the right thing to do. You are trying to get a workout for your HELOC.  Does your home have equity? Can't you sell it and pay it off?

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.