cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

help with a letter of explanation for overdraft on earnest $$ check.

tag
natesezgoblue
Valued Member

help with a letter of explanation for overdraft on earnest $$ check.

Can anyone help with a template or ideas in writing a letter to explain a earnest $$ check. 

One of the things the seller asked for was  higher than what we were ready to pay for EM.  We procedded anyway.  the check cleared but went overdrawn.  we deposited money as soon as we saw it was overdrawn(1 day).  Mortgage guy says we should be ok just need a loe.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
bobvette
Regular Contributor

Re: help with a letter of explanation for overdraft on earnest $$ check.

I am not trying to come off as a jerk, but it would seem to me that having your Earnest Money check overdraw your account is a big deal, not to freak you out, but I would call your LO and beg them to get on the phone with the Underwriter to give you a better idea of what adverse action it could have.  Or, call your bank and beg for a onetime forgiveness to remove the fee before your next statement cuts, that might be a better fix.

BOA Cash Rewards $95,000, AMEX Delta Reserve $65,000 AMEX BCP $30,600 CSP $32,000 Pen Fed Plat Rewards $25,000 Citi Thank You Preferred $28,500 Chase Freedom $21,000
Delta CU $10,000 Cap 1 X 2 $7,500 Discover $18,000
HSN $1,700 Kohls $4,000 BBRZ $700

Starting Score: EQ-592 TU-606
Current Score: EQ-838 TU-845
Goal Score: 850

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 2 of 8
natesezgoblue
Valued Member

Agree.  its a huge deal.  I'll see what he says.  we just totally goofed up the math when balancing our account.   not really sure how to explain human error in a letter.

Message 3 of 8
cocomadd
Regular Contributor

I would call the bank to see if they will remove the charge as a courtesy.  if you haven't withdrawn with them on the past, they will erase it, that way you will noy have to do the letter of Explain.  If you have already sumitted the bank records, then write in your LOE that it was a simple mathematical error on your part and that the funds were there the next day.

Exp/647-Fako
EQ/629-Fico
Trans/656-Fako
NEW SCORES
EX/665
EQ/642
Trans/656 Fako

This is new to me but I will take the 750+ challenge! Goal by May 2014
Message 4 of 8
natesezgoblue
Valued Member

The bank credited the fee. It still shows as going overdrawn but then shows a credit. The paperwork goes to the underwriter Monday
Message 5 of 8
Sunshine85
Frequent Contributor

Is there any reason your LO isn't having a VOD (verification of deposit) done instead? 

Overdrawing the account to pay earnest money will definitely concern the underwriter. I don't understand why your LO is even contemplating having you submit bank statements vs. going the VOD route.

Message 6 of 8
natesezgoblue
Valued Member

not sure. im going to encourage that we go the VOD route unless theres a reason we cant.  He's been in business many years and was reccmeded by friends and is highly endorsed on linkdin.  Maybe he's never had to do these before?  Maybe the underwriter wants it that way?

Message 7 of 8
HoldingOntoHope
Valued Contributor

I think that since it was only one day that the OOPS I made a math miscalculation will be enough in an LOE. A lot of people keep just enough funds in their checking account and if you had reserve funds to clear it the next day, and this is not a pattern in your account then the human error should be obvious. If the underwriter wants to get nasty about it then it is up to your loan officer to deal with him. I would just chalk it up to irony and not worry about it until and unless your loan officer says it is a major problem.

Best financial advice I ever got: "Just imagine what an adult would do and do that."

Starting Score: 500's
Current Score: EQ 701 (FICO) TU 721 (FICO) EX 715 (Quizzle)
Goal Score: 760 ALL

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.