Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

home insurance

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

home insurance

Good morning, i'm in the process of buying a home andi need help finding the right home insurance company. the house will be located in coral spings, FL. any information or recommednation will be appreciated. Thanks

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

Re: home insurance

Who is your present car insurance company? Sometimes you can get a decent rate and if you bundle you may also get a discount. You can also shop around and see who offers the best price for the coverage you need.

We personally use Amica ( not endorsing them), they were just the ones we found reasonable when we purchased our home.

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 2 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I use Geico, and amica not in Florida
Message 3 of 14
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

I have been happy with Statefarm for home and auto.

Not the cheapest, but always treats me well.

Check into flood insurance also.  It is priced by fema through your agent.

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

Message 4 of 14
Dervrak
Valued Member

My advice would be SHOP AROUND. Many people (myself included) are so excited by purchasing a new house that they just run out and sign up for the first insurance company they see to get the paperwork to the bank and keep the process moving. I applied for insurance through USAA because I had several other accounts through them. They quoted my $1,860 dollars a year. Being a first time home buyer, I had no idea if that was good or bad so I accepted. Well luckily, although it didn't feel lucky at the time, USAA rejected my application because there was no fire service within their defined radius. This time I actually shopped around. I found huge variances in price for virtually the same coverage, I ended up getting a policy from Midwestern Insurance for $968 a year, almost half of what USAA wanted.

Message 5 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, I will look into that, I appreciate it
Message 6 of 14
MauiMan85297
Established Contributor

Geico doesn't write homeowners as they have a 3rd party that writes it for them (usually Travelers).

Message 7 of 14
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

Shopping around is a great idea BUT make sure the company has a great reputation.

Saving $300 per year to get shorted $20k on a claim does not make good financial sense.

Statefarm has already paid out close to a $100k for me, so I have no reason to shop around to save 10% on premiums.

Just a thought...

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

Message 8 of 14
pgtackle2003
Frequent Contributor

@Devrak hit the nail on the head. I am also in process of purchasing a home (new construction) and also a first time homebuyer. I like you had no idea how to go about it, so I started calling all the insurance companies and getting quotes. I got wildy different prices, anything rom 1900/yr to 800/yr for same coverages. So yes I'd encourage you to look around and be willing to switch auto insurance as well as the bunlding almost always saves more money.

Good Luck

Message 9 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I’ve been calling, everybody so far quote me about $4k yearly. I need home insurance companies that write policies in Florida
Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.