cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how long should one garden before getting a mortgage?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

how long should one garden before getting a mortgage?

Have been searching on MF and elsewhere but can't seem to find a good answer. Basically I'm wondering what is the time frame that one should garden before getting a mortgage (like is it 6 month? 12? or more?)?
Specifically I'm contemplating getting a few new CCs in the near future but don't want to risk an increased mortgage rate. Currently all my 3 FICO 08 scores are over 800 with overall utilization under 10% and 1 or 2 INQs on EQ/EX in past year, but opening the new accounts will likely drop AAOA from 35months or so down to 24 and increase INQs.

btw. Also wondering what kind of consequences would one be looking at that period of gardening doesn't happen (i.e. would it be something like a 0.25% rate increase)?

Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: how long should one garden before getting a mortgage?

@Anonymous wrote:

Have been searching on MF and elsewhere but can't seem to find a good answer. Basically I'm wondering what is the time frame that one should garden before getting a mortgage (like is it 6 month? 12? or more?)?
Specifically I'm contemplating getting a few new CCs in the near future but don't want to risk an increased mortgage rate. Currently all my 3 FICO 08 scores are over 800 with overall utilization under 10% and 1 or 2 INQs on EQ/EX in past year, but opening the new accounts will likely drop AAOA from 35months or so down to 24 and increase INQs.

btw. Also wondering what kind of consequences would one be looking at that period of gardening doesn't happen (i.e. would it be something like a 0.25% rate increase)?

Thanks!

Ideally FICO wise?  12+ months.

Inquiries are a ding, full year.  Dropping below 2 years AAOA is a ding almost certainly on all profiles I've seen.  That all said it depends what your current mortgages scores are which can vary by a lot compared to FICO 8, but if you're still over 760 or even 740 on some products /shrug.

As for consequences, it's just whether you shift over a tier boundary or not... if you shift a tier, than yeah, .25% or worse, if you don't, is a non-issue.  

End of the day in my opinion, credit cards aren't really worth that much (certain exceptions do apply) but a mortgage is one of the biggest if not the singularly largest purchase of our entire financial lives, and credit cards don't rate at all in comparison.  How far out are we talking potential mortgage?

        
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Revelate wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks!

Ideally FICO wise?  12+ months.

Inquiries are a ding, full year.  Dropping below 2 years AAOA is a ding almost certainly on all profiles I've seen.  That all said it depends what your current mortgages scores are which can vary by a lot compared to FICO 8, but if you're still over 760 or even 740 on some products /shrug.

As for consequences, it's just whether you shift over a tier boundary or not... if you shift a tier, than yeah, .25% or worse, if you don't, is a non-issue.  

End of the day in my opinion, credit cards aren't really worth that much (certain exceptions do apply) but a mortgage is one of the biggest if not the singularly largest purchase of our entire financial lives, and credit cards don't rate at all in comparison.  How far out are we talking potential mortgage?

Thanks, actually not sure how far out but since the Fed is hiking the rate I'm thinking about pulling the date in rather than getting stuck with a high APR for 30 years.

You are absolutely right on the comparative value, 1.025^30 is over 2 which is such a big multiplier that can't really be used to compare with cards.

Athough on the other hand it is like throwing away $500~700 a card if they don't actually push me over the tier boundary, sighSmiley Sad

Message 3 of 5
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

I would apply for a mortgage sooner rather than later and wait until you have closed to apply for more credit cards. JMO. When you are in a rising interest rate market, better to lock in when the rates are lower.  Do you have a specific need to get the cards before you apply for a mortgage?  The cards will be there afterward too.

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the advice!

I'll skip the CCs, not really worth it at the end of the day (and the one I probably wanted the most is gone anywaysSmiley Wink)

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.