Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

individual or joint mortgage

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

individual or joint mortgage

Three years ago my mortgage (loan & property solely in my name at that time) changed hands from me to my husband when we tried to re-finance.  I am not sure if it was a true re-finance since he was not originally on the loan.  Although I am still listed as an owner of the property (along with my husband), he is now the only one on the mortgage.  I have read that it is important to have a mortgage loan to build/improve credit and am wondering if I should try to get my name back on the loan now, and if so, what is the best method of doing that?  Would I need to refinance again with both myself and my husband as co-applicants? 
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: individual or joint mortgage

Yes- you would most likely need to refi to get you name on the mortgage.

Rates were pretty much at the lowest 3 years ago. Don't re-fi just for the FICO. Do it if it makes good financial sense.

My DW and I did our first 2 mortgages joint- the current one she is on the title not the mortgage.
Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: individual or joint mortgage

The mortgage should still be on your report as a closed account (10 years to drop off).  You should still have the bump from it since it is paid in full.

Pick and choose when to do this - and not purely for the score boost.  Ever think of buying a 'second home' in your name? Or an investment property?
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.