Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

joint checking account question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

joint checking account question

My girlfriend and I are buying a house and I am the only one on the application. We have a joint checking and savings that both our incomes go into. Will underwriting have a problem allowing all of our funds and transactions since I am the only one on the loan? Am I going to have to explain all transactions that are not mine? I'm so confused and my Lo is no help.
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
ReBuild-OH17
New Contributor

Re: joint checking account question

They will more than likely require you to write an LOE for large deposits. For my mortgage, I had to write LOE for anything deposited that was over $100
Message 2 of 4
Sunshine85
Frequent Contributor

Normally, the lender will count 50% of the account balances. On another note, I think you should find another LO. A good LO and realtor are essential in the mortgage process. If your LO is not helpful, or you don't feel comfortable with him/her, you would be well served to move on to someone else. Good luck, and I hope everything works out for you.
Message 3 of 4
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

We just bought a house and I was on the loan but my wife was not.  She just had to sign an LOE saying I had full access to the funds in our joint account. They counted 100% of the balances, they were not split between us.  I would assume it would work the same for you and your girlfried, but I can't say whether the fact that we are married had anything to do with it.

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.