Did you mean: 

lower credit Util

tag
sports1965
Frequent Contributor

lower credit Util

I just lowered my credit Util from 93% to 8%  and my DTI is now 2.9%

Working with a banker to apply for mortgage

How long will it take for my lower DTI to reflect on my credit scores?

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
ezdriver
Senior Contributor

Re: lower credit Util

Creditors generally report on a 30-day cycle. Your score will reflect yor overall credit profile at the time the report is pulled.

Message 2 of 13
Lemmus
Established Contributor

@sports1965 wrote:

I just lowered my credit Util from 93% to 8%  and my DTI is now 2.9%

...thats an interesting DTI ...can you explain how you arrived at it?

Helpful Links: Do I Qualify? | Mortgage Calculator | USDA Mortgages | Opt Out | FICO Versions
Last HP: 11/04/15 | myFico 3B Jun 10 '15:FICO8 EQ - 752 | TU - 763 | EX - 750
Message 3 of 13
frugalQ
Valued Contributor

It's just the normal calculation. My DTI is 36.77% with the new mortgage.
AmEx Green NPSL | Amex BCP 16K | Citi Simplicity 10k | Discover IT 9K | Chase Slate 7.5K | Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass 7K | Capital One QuickSilver 6K | Home Depot 5k | Chase Freedom 4.5K | LOC 2.5K
Message 4 of 13
frugalQ
Valued Contributor

OP is just lucky to have no debt!
AmEx Green NPSL | Amex BCP 16K | Citi Simplicity 10k | Discover IT 9K | Chase Slate 7.5K | Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass 7K | Capital One QuickSilver 6K | Home Depot 5k | Chase Freedom 4.5K | LOC 2.5K
Message 5 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think only the min CC payment counts toward your DTI, util still counts for scoring. My DTI is at about 2.7% so definitely possible.

Anyway good job, it takes some work I know.

Message 6 of 13
Lemmus
Established Contributor

@frugalQ wrote:

...but he MUST have "debt" to arrive at a DTIR ...else hes applying to live rent free in his mother's basement Smiley Tongue

...afaik, in any Mortgage loan qualification/preapproval process the estimated PITI+PMI are included when the FE/BE DTIR is calculated ...otherwise the DTI would be essentially meaningless ...the LO uses the DTIR to calculate the maximum loan that can be preapproved ...thus my interest in how the 2.9 DTI was calculated by the op ...could be a perfectly good number, just like to know ...hth

Helpful Links: Do I Qualify? | Mortgage Calculator | USDA Mortgages | Opt Out | FICO Versions
Last HP: 11/04/15 | myFico 3B Jun 10 '15:FICO8 EQ - 752 | TU - 763 | EX - 750
Message 7 of 13
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Lemmus wrote:

@frugalQ wrote:

...but he MUST have "debt" to arrive at a DTIR ...else hes applying to live rent free in his mother's basement Smiley Tongue

...afaik, in any Mortgage loan qualification/preapproval process the estimated PITI+PMI are included when the FE/BE DTIR is calculated ...otherwise the DTI would be essentially meaningless ...the LO uses the DTIR to calculate the maximum loan that can be preapproved ...thus my interest in how the 2.9 DTI was calculated by the op ...could be a perfectly good number, just like to know ...hth

I am pretty certain it was his DTI pre-mortgage.

Mine is similarly low if I discount rent which the mortgage lender will... minimum payments on CC's are still debt.  Not sure how that's going to go in my case so I'm just balparking $20/card, or ~$200 or 1.5% DTI going into the process.

        
Message 8 of 13
sports1965
Frequent Contributor

i paid down $21000 worth of debt in 1 week

Message 9 of 13
frugalQ
Valued Contributor

Lemmus, I assumed his 2.9% DTI was his debt not including mortgage or rent.
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.