Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

new CC before mortgage app?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

new CC before mortgage app?

My husband and I are going in next month to meet with a LO. His mortgage scores right now are 620 (two scores at 620) and will increase in the next few weeks from UTI going down on cards he is AU on. He only has ONE card of his own. Its a Victoria Secret card. He is AU on 4 of my cards. 3 are reporting a balance at >50%. They will report balances at 40-50% for this month. Should I remove him as AU on all my cards and leave just his one card on his CR? Will that boost his score? His card is only reporting a 5% balance. Should I app him for a CO card. He is pre-approved for one now that his scores are up a lot more than they were. Or should I leave it as is? Here is his current Revolving account profile:

AU CO Plat $750 limit/ $349 bal (45%)- 13 months old. Never late

AU CO QS1 $500 limit/ $261 bal (52%)- 12 months old. Never late

AU Credit 1 $500 limit/ $340 bal (56%)- 11 months old. Never late. 

AU Childrens Place $500 lim/ $0- 10 months old. Never late. 

Own Victoria Secret $250 lim/ $5.50 bal- 10 or 11 months old. Never late. 

I added him as AU last year when I app spreed to get revolving credit to build history. All the cards we have we use (I have 4 more store cards on mine. All reporting $0- all are 10 months old currently). My mortgage score is in my siggy. They came up recently due to a balance decrease (closed a card I didnt like). My EX went up to 648 so I figure my other two tracked similar. We are breaking on a good 20+ pt seperation between my score and his and since the lowest middle score is used I want to get his up to where mine is. This month the balaces above will be what is reported. End of this month is when they get paid basically off (individal uti will be less than 8% on 3 cards and overall uti will be less than 7% for all accounts). 

Would apping for a new CC for him to give him a second card of his own that is not a store card the best plan so close to mortgage app? He only has 2 inquiries on his reports. 3 on one. All are unscorable since they are over a year old (except one which was a mortgage pull). Should I pull him off AU on all my cards? Some of them? What is my next best course of action?

5 REPLIES 5
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: new CC before mortgage app?

I wouldn't apply for anything new right now.

If your balances are getting tidied up (they aren't that much in the grand scheme of things, you don't owe much money just you have awkward ratios) there isn't really much need to take him off.

What did his reason codes say?  

Mortgage specifically we're seeing some REALLY weird things in EX FICO 2 recently with not only high CL tradelines being discounted (which we sorta knew) but potentially also credit union revolvers too which was a massive surprise, and when you're trying to clear a tier I would absolutely, unequivocably keep a balance on a national bankcard when it comes to a mortgage app and if you clean up your own balances his file will be in a better place than without the AU's probably.

Good chance a new account might take 2 months to report anyway so wouldn't even land in time to help him, and ticking over a year on all those accounts might help too: if it were me I'd just AZEO leaving a small balance on one of those Cap One cards and see where I was at in 2 months and then go mortgage shopping personally. 

        
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for your reply. I will leave them as is. His negative reason codes are:

Negative Items
Bad Payment History
High Credit Usage
Short Account History

The negative items and bad payment history is from a charge off tool loan we just paid last month and a single collection (3k). We are also trying to get 3 defaulted student loan accounts removed early since they fall off in July. Those were paid off last year.

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

in my case i applied for 3-4 credit cards in December for christmas savings and so forth.  I applied for a mortgage late January and was approved.  I just had to show they all had zero balances and explain the inq on my credit reports with accounts not reporting yet.  I have around 15 new accounts the past 12 months.  My scores are 700-720 across the board and my utilization is at 12%.  My DTI is low, so probably why i had no issues.

Everyone is different, but in my case i was prequalified for a mortgage and will close in a month.  Talked to the underwriter today and he said once i get my appraisal next week i can close 3 days later if i choose to.    I believe everyone will tell you to not apply for new credit and i would agree.  I am probably lucky and an exception.

Message 4 of 6
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

in my case i applied for 3-4 credit cards in December for christmas savings and so forth.  I applied for a mortgage late January and was approved.  I just had to show they all had zero balances and explain the inq on my credit reports with accounts not reporting yet.  I have around 15 new accounts the past 12 months.  My scores are 700-720 across the board and my utilization is at 12%.  My DTI is low, so probably why i had no issues.

Everyone is different, but in my case i was prequalified for a mortgage and will close in a month.  Talked to the underwriter today and he said once i get my appraisal next week i can close 3 days later if i choose to.    I believe everyone will tell you to not apply for new credit and i would agree.  I am probably lucky and an exception.

The problem is if you hadn't had those accounts you might've been at a 720 or higher instead and that is a tier boundary and might've saved you real money in terms of interest rates.

Can you get a mortgage with even a bunch of new accounts, sure if your score supports it and yours did; however, if you're not gold plated (and anyone who isn't top shelf from a tiering perspective, read as 760+) can benefit from putting as much lipstick on the pig as possible which means don't apply for new accounts.

Ultimately everyone has to decide what is most important, but with even one new account you're simply not as optimized from a FICO scoring perspective as you could be, and given a mortgage is the most expensive credit thing virtually any of us will ever do in our lives, it helps to be as optimized as possible.

My opinion anyway.

        
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree. In this case I have to have the best score available to me possible. I cant afford even a small dip in credit. Thank you for the input.
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.