Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

new cell phone account??

tag
Megacab07
Established Member

new cell phone account??

Hi All!!

We have already been pre-approved and are just looking for the right house. I'm wondering if opening a new cell phone account in my husband's name will affect our credit score at all? His mid-score is in the 700's so he's good to go, but I don't want anything screwing anything up! Does AT&T do hard pulls when opening an account? Should we just avoid that at all costs?

Thanks for your advice in advance!!

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

Re: new cell phone account??

I don't know about AT&T.  In general, even if someone tells you it will be a soft pull, you should be prepared for the possibility that they are mistaken and they will pull hard.  With a midscore in the 700s, I doubt it would be an issue even if they did a hard pull.  At most, you'd probably have to write an LOE. On the flip side, can it wait until after the house purchase?

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 6
Megacab07
Established Member

That depends. If we find a house in the next little bit that we like, it could wait, but if we can't and decide to go with new construction and it's months before it's even built, then no, it can't. I have been approaching it as if it were a hard pull because you just never know and I agree that it wouldn't kill the deal with his score in the 700's, but it still makes me nervous!!

Thanks for your input!!

Message 3 of 6
bigboihill
Valued Member

If it is only for a short-term solution, you could always go with a pre-paid phone.  I am not sure where you are located, but "Straight Talk" at Wal-Mart is the best deal out there in South Carolina.  You can get unlimited calls and internet for about $45.00 or so per month.  I heard that they use Verizon's network so connection shouldn't be an issue.  Just my two cents!!

Message 4 of 6
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

at most, you lose a handful of points.

that might affect pricing depending on the actual score, but it will not kill the deal.

Retired Lender
Message 5 of 6
deeblock

Yes, ATT is a hard pull. and I agree straight talk is a good deal.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.