Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

nonpurchasing spouse government debt

tag
maygirl
Contributor

nonpurchasing spouse government debt

Ok we have recieved full approval from the bank and my file is being sent to USDA. On my spouses credit report he has a dept of treasury collection account. It is NOT a judgement, it is from when he worked at USPS and apparently took too many days of leave before quitting that they paid him for, but in reality he hadn't earned yet.

What is the likelyhood of USDA ignoring this like the bank did? I just want to be prepared in case I will have to pay it off or will they just say no and not even let me have the option of paying it off.

I am sooo stressed over this and USDA is working on files from Dec 3rd so it's not like I will know "soon". We thought we were closing at the beginning of December, we finally got our fuill approval from the bank and now I don't know if it is STILL going to go through!

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Mike_B03
Valued Contributor

Re: nonpurchasing spouse government debt

Community property state or no?

Message 2 of 5
maygirl
Contributor

Yes... Unfortunatly...

I just don't understand why the bank would approve it if they didn't think USDA would approve it. : (

Message 3 of 5
ceejx
Established Contributor

@maygirl wrote:

Ok we have recieved full approval from the bank and my file is being sent to USDA. On my spouses credit report he has a dept of treasury collection account. It is NOT a judgement, it is from when he worked at USPS and apparently took too many days of leave before quitting that they paid him for, but in reality he hadn't earned yet.

What is the likelyhood of USDA ignoring this like the bank did? I just want to be prepared in case I will have to pay it off or will they just say no and not even let me have the option of paying it off.

I am sooo stressed over this and USDA is working on files from Dec 3rd so it's not like I will know "soon". We thought we were closing at the beginning of December, we finally got our fuill approval from the bank and now I don't know if it is STILL going to go through!

I live in CA (worst of the worst community property states) and my wife, also a non-purchasing spouse, is in default on her student loans, though we did start the rehab process (were 2 months in but still in default)  my loan went was approved with no problem. From what I was told, it is only a problem if YOU should up in the federal debt system as owing debt. They will run her credit, and take her monthly payments for your DTI, and that is all.

Message 4 of 5
maygirl
Contributor

Our loan is at USDA and will be looked at Weds/Thurs sooooo I am like on pins and needles hoping this goes through! We have been living with family since Nov 20th thinking we would close much sooner, but it seemed like everything that could go wrong went wrong and everyone took off work around the holidays!

The GUS came came approve full doc so that seems promising.... : )

We will see soon!

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.