Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

options for new construction homes

tag
demi
Established Contributor

Re: options for new construction homes

Sounds really nice, and taking the train can be very nice (wish I could, it would take me over 2 hours to get to work on public transit, 20 minutes to drive).  If its the home you hope to stay in, no commute when you retire!

Starting Score: EQ 679, TU 697
Current Score: EQ 680, TU 672
Goal Score: EQ 720, TU 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 41 of 48
Amythyst
Contributor

Hehe, well I have many many years before I retire! Smiley Very Happy  It takes me about 2 hours each way... we live really close to the train station and my office is right behind the train station but its the logistics of getting from place to place.  I get up at 6 AM and have to make it to the train by 7:15.  The train gets me there by about 8:15 and then I have to wait for a shuttle bus to take me to the office ... so, depending on the buses I will get to work around 8:30 or 8:45.  Then, I leave the office at about 3:20 to catch a 4:05 train to get back to the train station at like 5:10 and then sit in traffic to get home which puts me back in the door a little after 5:30 ... its certainly worth the effort.

Its funny cause I work for the government (as do lots of people in the DC area), so the commuter train is packed full of government workers. Smiley Happy  And a lot of them have too large mouths... I am constantly overhearing conversations that should not be said... lol.

Message 42 of 48
rehr22
Contributor

@foofighter74 wrote:

No, they're upgrades with Ryan Homes.  You can negotiate with the purchase price and probably get some of the stuff thrown in, but we did that with our fourth bedroom as well as a couple of other things. 

With Ryan homes, i'm surprised they even give you any windows. lol. 

This is great.

Sir, you get 2 doors and 1 window, the rest are optional.

All kidding aside, how is centrail A/C not standard these days?

Starting Score: (2009) EQ = 626 | TU = 664
Current Score: (03-18-2014) EQ = 737 | TU = 703 | EX = 723
Goal Score: 740

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 43 of 48
playboy
Regular Contributor

@rehr22 wrote:

@foofighter74 wrote:

No, they're upgrades with Ryan Homes.  You can negotiate with the purchase price and probably get some of the stuff thrown in, but we did that with our fourth bedroom as well as a couple of other things. 

With Ryan homes, i'm surprised they even give you any windows. lol. 

This is great.

Sir, you get 2 doors and 1 window, the rest are optional.

All kidding aside, how is centrail A/C not standard these days?

You wanna know something funny.  I've seen builders recently that are making a bathtub an option for the master bath.  The stand-up shower is standard but the bathtub is optional.

Starting Score: EX 575/TU 534/EQ 570
Current Scores per Myfico: (As of 12-14-13) EX 690/EQ 685/TU 679
Goal Score: 720

Message 44 of 48
Autumnslight
Frequent Contributor

Some people just don't like central air, as crazy as that seems! We could have gotten it done separately after closing for a few hundred less, but after considering everything (moving during the summer with no a/c, paying for it in total up front after closing, hassle of trying to schedule installation while trying to close/move, etc.), we decided to just do it and have it be over with.

Ryan keeps their base prices lower by making everything an "upgrade". I compared them to several other local builders, and some of the other builders had stainless, granite, crown molding, hardwood floors, etc. standard, but their base prices were a lot higher. For just the raw square footage that we got, it would have cost us a lot more with any other builder around here. I preferred to forego some of the cosmetics in favor of a lower price and more square footage. It just comes down to personal preference.

Scores:
07/29/12: EX FICO (Amex) 684 | EQ MyFICO 631 | TU Walmart 695
Current: EX FICO (MyFICO) 733 | EQ (MyFICO) 683 | TU (Walmart) 745

First Goal: 700+ across the board - Got it on EX & TU!!!
Message 45 of 48
rehr22
Contributor

@Autumnslight wrote:

Some people just don't like central air, as crazy as that seems! We could have gotten it done separately after closing for a few hundred less, but after considering everything (moving during the summer with no a/c, paying for it in total up front after closing, hassle of trying to schedule installation while trying to close/move, etc.), we decided to just do it and have it be over with.

Ryan keeps their base prices lower by making everything an "upgrade". I compared them to several other local builders, and some of the other builders had stainless, granite, crown molding, hardwood floors, etc. standard, but their base prices were a lot higher. For just the raw square footage that we got, it would have cost us a lot more with any other builder around here. I preferred to forego some of the cosmetics in favor of a lower price and more square footage. It just comes down to personal preference.

This is good to know.  I love their places, but maybe I am better off with a builder who doesn't nickle and dime for each option (like Mercedes!).  However, unlike cars, which are a dime a dozen, new contruction in central to northern NJ are not as prevalant.  The longer I wait the more I get pushed down south and only increase my commuting time.

Starting Score: (2009) EQ = 626 | TU = 664
Current Score: (03-18-2014) EQ = 737 | TU = 703 | EX = 723
Goal Score: 740

Message 46 of 48
foofighter74
Established Contributor

@Autumnslight wrote:

We could have gotten it done separately after closing for a few hundred less, but after considering everything (moving during the summer with no a/c, paying for it in total up front after closing, hassle of trying to schedule installation while trying to close/move, etc.), we decided to just do it and have it be over with.

We almost included central air in our upgrades as well for exactly the reasons you mentioned.  And when July comes, and there's no central air until after closing, we will probably regret not just having it done during construction. lol.  But we, at least at the present time, are going to have it done after closing.

Our loan officer is going to be working with Ryan Homes because she wants to structure the contract a little differently than first written...so there might be an incentive coming our way from Ryan.  It was supposed to be closing cost assistance, but she wants to do the deal in a different way - more seller concessions, and less money out of pocket at closing, basically...and the initial amount Ryan Homes agreed to pay for closing she's going to try and get as an incentive or free upgrade. If that happens, we will add central air.

Message 47 of 48
birjest
Frequent Contributor

5/30/15 EQ 596; TU 605; EX 580.
12/18/17 EQ 646; TU 660; EX 674.
7/30/23 EQ 708; TU 703; EX 721.
Message 48 of 48
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.