cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

payoff auto loan, 2 months before qualifying for home loan?

tag
TheGardner
Valued Contributor

Re: payoff auto loan, 2 months before qualifying for home loan?

If you are above DTI they can make paying it off a condition on funding the loan after approval. Basically, as a condition you will have to pay off the loan for funding. The pay off receipt will be enough proof.

Doing it this way it will not update on your reports as paid and closed before closing. So the risk to score dropping is minimal.
If anyone needs me I will be In The Garden. Goal Score: 760 for all in 2015.
Current FICO Scores EX: 715 EQ: 756 TU: 762
Last APP April 21, 2015.
Victim of The great AMEX HP heist of Dec 1st, 2nd and 3rd of 2014.
Message 11 of 14
HiLine
Blogger

If this is your only installment loan, your score will definitely suffer if you pay it off. Expect a drop of 10 points or more.
Message 12 of 14
giosan32
Valued Member

Great advice everyone, I think I will pay it down to 1000 and pay the rest after closing and since it is my only installment loan I dont want a drop in my credit

Message 13 of 14
frugalQ
Valued Contributor

Be careful with closing an installment loan.

My DH and I just went through this. We are building a home and paid off one of our cars. My DH ended up losing 16 points with Experian (version 98)....he gained 15-20 pts with the other two bureaus (EQ beacon5 and TU 04)

WHen we first applied in September, EX was his mid score. When the lender refreshed our scores last month, EX was his lowest score and EQ became his mid.

When I pulled EX FICO score from here after the account reported closed, his score actually increased. But, the direct opposite happened with the mortgage version.

I'm guessing that EX 98 puts more weight on open vs closed accounts. That's the only logical explanation as to why the 04 scores (EQ and TU) were not negatively impacted but 98 (EX) was.

FYI...my husband has a second car, student loan, and mortgage still open on his reports.
AmEx Green NPSL | Amex BCP 16K | Citi Simplicity 10k | Discover IT 9K | Chase Slate 7.5K | Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass 7K | Capital One QuickSilver 6K | Home Depot 5k | Chase Freedom 4.5K | LOC 2.5K
Message 14 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.