Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

thinking about getting a personal loan to pay off high interest rate CC

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

thinking about getting a personal loan to pay off high interest rate CC

heres my bio:  more than 20k in CC bills, most of which the rates are above 20%, thinking of getting a personal loan from bank than apply for lower rates with new credit card, is this my best approach at this?  any other help would be really kosher.  ohyeah my fico score is 624
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: thinking about getting a personal loan to pay off high interest rate CC

I would say so, you probably wont be able to match your credit card rate with the rate of a loan. Also consider a line of credit, it MIGHT have a lower interest rate than a personal loan and you can use it to pay off credit cards w/o fees. PS: At my credit union a 720+ score will get you the lowest interest rate for a line of credit (10.90%) and the lowest for a personal loan is 11.5. Check with your bank because it will vary by institution.
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

do you Own a home???  You can get a line of credit or refi totally and pay off debt that way.  Or you can refi totally into a line of credit and be able to pay off your mortgage in 1/2 the time of a normal fixed 30 year loan.
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am in the same scenario and can't get help with scores of TU 660 and EQ 677...I am on the East Coast, my Credit Union wont help...I have no BK, no public records just high utilization and if I can consolidate it would help.  I don't want to keep shopping around and getting dinged with inquiries...how is B of A or Commerce Bank... any suggestions? 
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would take out a personal loan and pay down the cards. But don't close the cards.
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

thanks for all the feedback, tried getting a personal loan from my bank and with my credit score and no collateral they said no, because of my debt to income ratio is not helping either.  So I'm going to try and get a personal loan thru the credit union, if that doesn't work I'll probably buy a house somewhere and then get a home equity loan of some sort.  I'm out of ideas anymore suggestions, help, tips would be kosher.  wish i could turn back time................
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have a question?  How are we supposed to qualify for personal loans, lines of credit, Helocs or any of that to consolidate debt if we are told that our DTI is too high and our cc utilization is too high, that is why I am asking for help through the loan?  And you are correct, we will take a ding for applying in the first place only to be told that there is nothing they can do.  I am confused on that one.  How can there be so many loan products out there and companies advertising them and even telling you about them and saying hey we have products for people with good, bad or worse credit and when you apply they can never seem to find a program to put you in?  What is up with that?  Sorry, I am kind of mad, here.  Not at you guys..  Pray for me.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.