Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

thoughts on closing accounts before applying for motgage

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

thoughts on closing accounts before applying for motgage

I have 2 first premier cards and a secured capital one, cl below.  

My goal is to shoot for a mortgage in the next 3 months. My 3B from fico didnt have TU mortgage score, going to run again in June

Can I close the first premier accounts without adversly affecting my mortgage plans? The Cap1 is a secure card with 2k on it, love to get that back too. Also any feedback on the mortgage scores is helpful.

Thank you in advance. 

Adam

I pay off all balances every month, going to hold 1-9% on one after reading posts.

Age of credit history 6 years

Hard Pulls - 6 on transunion, 1 each on experian and equifax

All judgements and collections have been settles (in the last year)

fico score 8
eq-689,tr 670,ex 669

Fico 5
eq 679

fico 2
ex 702

Amex Green Charge card, Amex Everyday$3000, Wells Fargo Visa $5000, Capital secured Card $2000, (2) First Premier Cards $650 & $600, Merrick $1400 no balance.

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Re: thoughts on closing accounts before applying for motgage

Don't close any accounts prior to your mortgage application. Pay them down so all report zero except for one account and have its balance report 1% to 9% of the individual card limit to optimize your score. if you are applying for a mortgage in 3 months you want to pay down/off immediately. It takes some cc co's 30 to 60 days for the card to update properly on your report.

It is not always possible to have your balances at zero (except one), but do the best you can without using up your downpayment and closing funds to do so.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.