Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

want to purchase vacation /retirement home

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

want to purchase vacation /retirement home

We are looking to purchase our vacation/retirement home in another state next summer.By then we will be debt free ,no credit cards,no car payments.Only balance of 90,000 on our house valued at 500,000 to 550,000.Our FICO scores are now high 600,s to low 700,s.By then because of paying off all credit cards it should be almost 750,s.My question is what is the best way to purchase our second home.We will probably looking at houses about 400,000 to 450,000.Our combined income is 180,000.We will be selling our first home in about 5 to 6 years and moving to live in the vacation home.Please help let me know what our options are.
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: want to purchase vacation /retirement home

how much cash are you planning on putting down.  I am pretty sure the down payments for investemnt properties is alot higher than standard loans...  Around 20% or so minimum.  I could be wrong, and with 700+ FICOS and little debt, it may not be as bad.
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes we could probably put 20% in cash down.Should we go for a mortgage on the second house alone? Or use some equity in our first house?
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

if you have a mortgage broker you are comfortable with I would just ask them to run the options for you.  Factor in the closing costs, etc.  With rates as low as they currently are, I would try to get a fixed rate loan whether it was HELOC/refi on the primary or a original loan on your investment property.  It might be quicker/easier to get the $ on the current house since it would not be run as a second home purchase (which are more difficult to get approval), but weight the up front costs, the interest rate you are offered, any othere costs.

One thing to also keep in mind is that if you tie up all the equity in the current property with a new refi/heloc and need to sell in a few years, you may end up having to bring some cash to the table when you sell.  Many markets, while not droppng like they were, are still showing small declines and could easily loose another 10% or more before rebounding so if you went to sell in 5 years, you may actually be right at where you are now value wise.  Add in realtors fees and selling concessions and you may need some $ to sell within the first 5 or 6 years.  The good side is that you would have the 2nd home free and clear and once the 1st sold, there would be no mortgage.  

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

WOW, THANK YOU VERY MUCH.That is the information I was looking for.I love this group the people are very helpful and I have learned so much.
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.