cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

will an inquiry keep you from closing an FHA loan?

tag
mgs2010
Regular Contributor

will an inquiry keep you from closing an FHA loan?

Hi Everyone. I've been helping my mom re-build her credit from a bankruptcy back in 2009...she was just pre-approved for an FHA home loan in June and we've been shopping ever since. Finally found a house and put in an offer. Well, a couple days after doing so my mom went to Dress Barn (a clothing store) and purchased some clothes. At the check out the cashier sold her on the credit card and she applied and was approved instantly. Now, at the time she applied for the actual mortgage she signed a paper that said do not apply for credit. I don't think she really knew what she was doing because I've been the one helping her with her credit. She doesn't understand what an inquiry is and probably had no idea. Now I'm worried that they are going to say NO WAY to her getting a mortgage. On the bright side, the card has a 0 balance and so it's not like she added to her debt load, she just applied for something she really didn't need. Anyone know how big of an impact that can have on getting the loan?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
incognitony
Frequent Contributor

Re: will an inquiry keep you from closing an FHA loan?

I don't think it will matter unless she charges on it or her credit score was borderline to qualifying. Adding the card may help or hurt her score depending on what other credit she haa.

Message 2 of 5
Booner72
Senior Contributor

Re: will an inquiry keep you from closing an FHA loan

She will have to write a letter of explanation about the inquiry.   Good thing she didn't use that card!

Also on the actual FHA loan application that I did - it had a page for inquiries within the last six months.

This is just my experience and hers could be different.

STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720
Message 3 of 5
pete33

All lenders do soft pulls before you close just closed aug17
Message 4 of 5
BrianB_The_Loan_Professor
Valued Contributor

It alone will not kill the deal unless it throws off the debt ratio or causes scores to drop.

It is something that is better to avoid 

It will require explanation and proof that no new debt was added

B

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Brian B The Loan Professor
Mortgage Banker - offering FHA, VA, USDA , and Conventional mortgages in all 50 states -

If I do not respond to a follow up question please feel free to contact me directly
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.