Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

$1,200 Stimulus Payment just arrived

tag
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Re: $1,200 Stimulus Payment just arrived

I wont be getting it and rightfully so, but there is a whole another side to it

I've spent more already than what stimulus check would be, simply because of my work. 

I could start with several visits to a dermatologist because n95 tried to eat my face. Deductible and out of pocket aren't waived. 

I'm paying a fortune for Hibiclens because I shower with it. Price has gone up by 300%, and i use it by gallon. 

I'm not cooking a lot, because I cannot be around my teens. I'm trying to stay out of shared living spaces.

Feeding two kids with two deliveries per day is costly. 

I've thrown away clothes, scrubs, and coats on the days we had confirmed cases go through the office. 

Nevermind the fact  that a month ago I've spend another tiny fortune on buying masks and gloves to be used at work while they were still available because we're constantly at the brink of running out, and because it's not a hospital, we're on the bottom of supply chain, even though we're just as likely to see those affected due to the nature of our practice. 

This has cost me money, and it will continue to cost me money. 

Message 61 of 143
GApeachy
Super Contributor

@Brian_Earl_Spilner wrote:

I agree with you that the money should have went to people that were impacted, only.

But this isn't Past Tense. 

It's not for only those that already have lost their job......  Also, wouldn't the money need to go to those that tested positive?  Had to quarantine?  Lost wages but not their job?  Living off of PTO until that gets resolved....and hope you have enough PTO or that PTO is even a thing for you cuz ya gotta eat.

Besides,  what about those that could test positive today, tomorrow or in a month......no matter how much $ you make you can get this mess and you're quarantined, you're not gonna clock in. When will your turn come up to receive an unemployment check?  My dil had to quarantine, not enough PTO, hasn't heard a thing from unemployment (healthcare worker). She still has a job, she also still has bills to pay which are falling behind a little, it could be worse.  She's negative and back at work but lost wages she won't see for a while, also spent a lot of money on medicines and over the counter things because of being exposed.  I hope she gets her check soon.

There's just no way to read that crystal ball as to who is gonna need it now or later.  I do believe ppl earning over $99k get it too....just less. 

My Take Home Pay Don't Take Me Home
Message 62 of 143
GApeachy
Super Contributor

@Remedios wrote:

I've spent more already than what stimulus check would be, simply because of my work. 

Sorry you're still dealing with the face issue.  I believe you should see a check, a smaller check........correct?  Am I missing something?

Message 63 of 143
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@GApeachy wrote:

@Remedios wrote:

Sorry you're still dealing with the face issue.  I believe you should see a check, a smaller check........correct?  Am I missing something?

Face got better, because we're using n95s very sparingly, as we cannot replace them as fast we use them. 

I wont be getting a check, and that's fine, I have no issues with that.

It's just that if I'm having to do all that, other people must be going through similar issues, and while they are employed,  expenses due to COVID-19 are going up for many. 

Message 64 of 143
GApeachy
Super Contributor

@Remedios wrote:

@GApeachy wrote:

@Remedios wrote:

Face got better, because we're using n95s very sparingly, as we cannot replace them as fast we use them. 

I wont be getting a check, and that's fine, I have no issues with that.

It's just that if I'm having to do all that, other people must be going through similar issues, and while they are employed,  expenses due to COVID-19 are going up for many. 

Just try to keep all of your receipts for next tax season.  Also, list all of your clothing, medical and personal, you had to destroy.  Keep a detailed list of everything....hopefully that will come out in the wash.  Hang tight and be safe!Heart

Message 65 of 143
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@GApeachy wrote:

I do believe ppl earning over $99k get it too....just less. 

Nope. If you earn more than $99k single, $136.5k as head of a household with one kid or $198k for joint filers then you get nothing. It reduces payment after $75k single, $125k HofHH, and $150k joint to those thresholds

Message 66 of 143
Adkins
Legendary Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hey @GApeachy appreciate your sharing what it is like when you have family shopping needs. Also, @Adkins where you are working all hours of the day or night and then trying to find what your family needs and traveling around to get supplies and all of you exposing yourself to more people Smiley Sad

Easy to not understand when you are a small unit of one! Smiley Sad

This thread has brought forth a good amount of information and some different perspectives on offering Stimulus Checks. Makes one take a moment to consider?! Smiley Happy

I hit up the stores when I get off work in the morning, and shop by myself. I've been wearing a mask since mid January due to my pneumonia (now walking pneumonia, yay! 👎👎), and I either wear gloves or wipe down the cart at all touch points. Since I grew up poor, it's a habit to keep everything food wise fairly well stocked at home, although we did get down to our last four rolls of TP. The biggest challenge had been diapers but I finally found some since our Amazon subscribe and save order for them was cancelled. Again we weren't out (because I always order so there are extra available), but we were getting low. I'll be payiing some bills with the check but the $500 per kid will be going into their college funds. 

Last HP 08-07-2023

Message 67 of 143
GApeachy
Super Contributor

@simplynoir wrote:

@GApeachy wrote:

I do believe ppl earning over $99k get it too....just less. 

Nope. If you earn more than $99k single, $136.5k as head of a household with one kid or $198k for joint filers then you get nothing. It reduces payment after $75k single, $125k HofHH, and $150k joint to those thresholds

Okay, yeah I found this: (Forbes)  and thank you for answering my ?

"If your income is greater than these amounts, you will not get a stimulus check:

• Single Filer: $99,000
  • Joint Filer (no children): $198,000"

ETA: @Adkins   Baby wipes (and only allowed to buy one at a time) has been our biggest issue, the pullups I bought cases of thankfully.

Message 68 of 143
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@GApeachy wrote:

@Brian_Earl_Spilner wrote:

I agree with you that the money should have went to people that were impacted, only.

But this isn't Past Tense. 

It's not for only those that already have lost their job......  Also, wouldn't the money need to go to those that tested positive?  Had to quarantine?  Lost wages but not their job?  Living off of PTO until that gets resolved....and hope you have enough PTO or that PTO is even a thing for you cuz ya gotta eat.

Besides,  what about those that could test positive today, tomorrow or in a month......no matter how much $ you make you can get this mess and you're quarantined, you're not gonna clock in. When will your turn come up to receive an unemployment check?  My dil had to quarantine, not enough PTO, hasn't heard a thing from unemployment (healthcare worker). She still has a job, she also still has bills to pay which are falling behind a little, it could be worse.  She's negative and back at work but lost wages she won't see for a while, also spent a lot of money on medicines and over things because of being exposed.  I hope she gets her check soon.

There's just no way to read that crystal ball as to who is gonna need it now or later.  I do believe ppl earning over $99k get it too....just less. 

Ok, let me rephrase that. I don't think it's right that people have been waiting 3+ weeks for their unemployment checks, unable to pay bills, unable to buy food, but they're pushing out a check at record speed to get people to stimulate the economy. It will help those people, but they'll still be waiting for their unemployment checks again afterwards. I feel that it would have been better purposed to immediately help those who are currently at need and to bolster the unemployment system for those who may need it in the future.

I'm not ignorant to the fact that even people with jobs could use the money. I've spent over $2k more in a month than I normally do. My point is, that money isn't going to be dumped into the economy as it was intended. People are going to use it to buy food, supplies, and to catch up on bills. Like I said in my previous post, I don't need the money right now, but I don't know if I'm going to still have a job next week, and probably won't know until near the end of this one. Is it a good thing I'm getting it then? Yes, but I look at it as early unemployment to bridge the gap until I can actually get my benefits. If I'm not laid off or furloughed, I'll hold on to it because it's just a matter if time in my line of work.

Lastly, I included people affected by Covid-19. That doesn't mean they have to be unemployed. While my employer will pay for 2 weeks if you or someone in your immediate family becomes sick, not every employer does. I would rather the money go to those who are quarantined or lost their jobs rather than someone who's gonna buy video games or car parts. 

Message 69 of 143
blindambition
Senior Contributor

@GApeachy wrote:

@CreditCuriosity wrote:

That is their career choice.  If she was to get "hazard" pay then I am all about that as i have great respect for healthcare workers.  You might be shocked i am in healthcare related field, but not on the front lines by any means...  Was a general question and can respect your strong feelings, but i don't think people that just happen to make under a certain threshold should personally be getting it that havent lost their job or lost hours, etc...  Obviously that is just one of many feelings about it.

I do believe that job or no job ppl have shelled out extra money towards things to prepare for shutdowns, lockdowns, extra safety product needs and concerns ie. cleaning supplies, (like above poster pointed out, bagging and washing clothing separately), buying food and personal care items online, shipping and handling.......not everyone is affected the same dollar wise but we all are pretty much spending extra in preparedness due to this health scare that could go on for quite a while.

ETA:  I just had to buy a dozen eggs for $4.79 (price gouging no doubt)

This is definite! I'm blind and live SSDI. I also need that money. Eggs, milk, water and many other things have gone up. I struggle with tiniest budget to begin with.

Being blind, online shopping and delivery was a necessity, not a luxury. Now that everyone has to depend on this, it further burdens the ones who had, and have no other options.

Ive had to pay 3 services in a week to fulfill a grocery order. For me, that's an extra 2x delivery charge. Also an extra 2x tip I have to pay to the gracious and brave shoppers.

not doing the poor me, just showing we're all feeling this. I can't forget the extra money for therapy sessions. Not coping well with my anxiety and anytime to recover. This is 24/7 for who knows how long.

Stay safe to all. My gratitude to all on the frontlines... no matter what your job is!

Message 70 of 143
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.