Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2019 stupid finance tricks

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: 2019 stupid finance tricks

tcbofade, this seems like a good plan. Especially when you have a timeline in mind. Kudos to you for bringing down your debt from 6 figures to what it is now.

I can write from experience, then if you are honest with each other and your goals and timelines remain unchanged. You both can bring down your debt and refinance the mortgage.

Two thing for your to explore this weekend -

- You may be able to add yourself to the mortgage, some lenders will allow for that while refinancing.

- Check out sofi bank and other lenders, sometimes thier debt consolidation/personal loans have good deals. (for the debt that your will not be able to transfer to your new cards)

GL2U!

Message 11 of 16
tcbofade
Super Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

Will say though that the easiest way to go sort the DTI issue would be to put you on the mortgage too, but I can understand the reasons for potentially not doing that intellectually anyway.  Doubt if I ever did get married that her name goes on the condo for example, though almost certainly would in whatever place we moved to.  All the compromises that make relationships work haha.

We live in Kansas.  Both names are on the deed of the house... only SHE has a mortgage.  Smiley Happy

It's more about creative financing than it is a his/hers thing.  Smiley Happy

... and thank you!

04/01/24 Fico 8: EX 763, EQ 799, TU 783.
Fico 9: EX 756 03/13/24, EQ 790 02/04/24, TU No idea.

Zero percent financing is where the devil lives...
Message 12 of 16
tcbofade
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

tcbofade, this seems like a good plan. Especially when you have a timeline in mind. Kudos to you for bringing down your debt from 6 figures to what it is now.

I can write from experience, then if you are honest with each other and your goals and timelines remain unchanged. You both can bring down your debt and refinance the mortgage.

Two thing for your to explore this weekend -

- You may be able to add yourself to the mortgage, some lenders will allow for that while refinancing.

- Check out sofi bank and other lenders, sometimes thier debt consolidation/personal loans have good deals. (for the debt that your will not be able to transfer to your new cards)

GL2U!

I certainly CAN.  Her current mortgage lender would like to add me to her existing mortgage... for right now, our credit needs are best served by the mortgage remaining in only HER name. 

...and thank you!

Message 13 of 16
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@kilroy8 wrote:

Between the 2 of you, that's 70K in unsecured debt. Even considering only your 19K, I think you are going to tap out soon on what places are willing to extend.

I have no experience or ideas on how to handle that. I do sympathize, as the payments have to be murder.

Just to chime in on this, I discovered this forum because DW and I were carrying twice that with an average interest rate of around 20%.  We carried that for nearly a decade throwing away thousands of dollars in interest alone every month.  With an aged, large, always-on-time file, having enough income to support paying it down, and being able to play the FICO score game to keep the percentages in check, lenders will extend credit.  @tcbofade is like my brother from another mother tackling the balance transfer shuffle in 2-player mode.  Smiley Wink

So the strategy seems okay to me, except that I wonder about the 11% personal loan.  You didn't mention how many months that was over, so I would run the numbers to figure out how much interest you would pay over time on that vs shifting it every 12 months from one 3% fee 0% BT card to another.  If the difference is negligible I'd go with the loan.

I wish it was a requirement to have your cards listed on this forum so I could make suggestions on cards.  Smiley Tongue  Do you already have BankAmericard, EveryDay, and Slate, all of which have a $0 and 0% introductory BT offer?  Which CUs are you already with?

Finally, is your existing mortgage really high now?  Somehow I don't see mortgage rates doing anything but continuing to climb and climb at this point.  So if you already have a decent rate, that part of the plan may not pan out.

Message 14 of 16
tcbofade
Super Contributor

@K-in-Boston wrote:

@kilroy8 wrote:

Between the 2 of you, that's 70K in unsecured debt. Even considering only your 19K, I think you are going to tap out soon on what places are willing to extend.

I have no experience or ideas on how to handle that. I do sympathize, as the payments have to be murder.

Just to chime in on this, I discovered this forum because DW and I were carrying twice that with an average interest rate of around 20%.  We carried that for nearly a decade throwing away thousands of dollars in interest alone every month.  With an aged, large, always-on-time file, having enough income to support paying it down, and being able to play the FICO score game to keep the percentages in check, lenders will extend credit.  @tcbofade is like my brother from another mother tackling the balance transfer shuffle in 2-player mode.  Smiley Wink  Smiley Surprised  Your Mama!

So the strategy seems okay to me, except that I wonder about the 11% personal loan.  You didn't mention how many months that was over, so I would run the numbers to figure out how much interest you would pay over time on that vs shifting it every 12 months from one 3% fee 0% BT card to another.  If the difference is negligible I'd go with the loan.

I wish it was a requirement to have your cards listed on this forum so I could make suggestions on cards.  Smiley Tongue  Do you already have BankAmericard, EveryDay, and Slate, all of which have a $0 and 0% introductory BT offer?  Which CUs are you already with?

Finally, is your existing mortgage really high now?  Somehow I don't see mortgage rates doing anything but continuing to climb and climb at this point.  So if you already have a decent rate, that part of the plan may not pan out.

One issue is that I don't have the income that you do. 

Still talking with CU about term... could be 48, could be 60.

We both have Slate, I JUST got the Everyday, and BankofAmerica is not an option... we don't like them, they don't like us. 

We've got Mainstreet, Community America, Navy, and PenFed.

Current first mortgage is at 4.5.  Current second mortgage is at 10.    If mortgage rates stay under 6.5 for another 13 months or so, it would be a win.

We shall see...

Message 15 of 16
tcbofade
Super Contributor

@K-in-Boston wrote:

@kilroy8 wrote:

Good call.  Thank you, sir. 

See approval forum.  Smiley Happy

Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.