Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

401k loan or payments

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

401k loan or payments

I have about $7000 in debt between me and my wife. I pay roughly $1,100 a month in payments. I can get a loan against my 401k to pay off all debt and I will lose $800 a month in pay for 12 months. I am wondering if this is a smart choice. It will save me about $300 a month plus I am sure a large amount in intrests. The interest and loan fee's for the loan will be $173.

So I am just looking for advice before I get the loan and jump all in.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Kforce
Valued Contributor

Re: 401k loan or payments

@Anonymous wrote:

I have about $7000 in debt between me and my wife. I pay roughly $1,100 a month in payments. I can get a loan against my 401k to pay off all debt and I will lose $800 a month in pay for 12 months. I am wondering if this is a smart choice. It will save me about $300 a month plus I am sure a large amount in intrests. The interest and loan fee's for the loan will be $173.

So I am just looking for advice before I get the loan and jump all in.

The calculator smart answer depends a lot on info we do not have.

1) What are the real loan balances, payments, interest rates

2) What kind of 401 Interest is being earned, are you losing matching contributions, etc.

With the 401k loan you are paying interest for the new loan, giving up compounding interest gain, maybe losing matching contributions, and in debt longer.  Even with very high interest rates 1100/mo on 7000 is less than 7 months and out of debt. I would lean to not borrow from the 401k for such a small, short time debt even if it cost me a little more interest. It might not even be costing you more.

I also don't understand the numbers provided

800 a month for 12 months = 9600,  9600-7000 = Cost of loan as $2600

@7000 @ 17%  and 1100 payment =  interest loss ~$400

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree with K force since you are under 12 months out don't do it. 401K money is for retirement only

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I believe the OP is stating that $1100 per month is allocated towards the credit cards each month, not necessarily towards reducing the $7000 balance. But I can't be sure because the overall picture is unclear.

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Correct I have 7k in debt but I am only paying off about $200 a month as I have got stuck in a cycle of minimum payments. The payments and having to use the cards as I pay to much on them.
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Correct I have 7k in debt but I am only paying off about $200 a month as I have got stuck in a cycle of minimum payments. The payments and having to use the cards as I pay to much on them.

Don't touch your 401k. You need to focus on your income (raising) and expenses (lowering.)

Borrowing from your 401k is a bandaid that isn't going to fix anything. It's your budget that's broken.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.