cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

$42k CC debt, 745 Fico 8, 56% Credit Usage, Newly Self Employed. Best Options for Consolidation?

tag
njames33
New Contributor

$42k CC debt, 745 Fico 8, 56% Credit Usage, Newly Self Employed. Best Options for Consolidation?

Started a new business and as usual start-up cost was much higher than expected. Ended up putting around $40k onto credit cards to help get everything launched. Income is coming in slower than expected so wanted some opinions on what the best option is for consolidating?
Currently have 2 cards maxed out totaling the $42k NFCU & Chase.
Some consolidation loans I've looked into require proof of income and since this is a new business that won't work. 

Would appreciate any suggestions as to the best way to unwind from this mess. Thanks in advance!

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
Yasselife
Valued Contributor

Re: $42k CC debt, 745 Fico 8, 56% Credit Usage, Newly Self Employed. Best Options for Consolidation?

@njames33 P. Installment loan; try to lower individual usage on cards higher than 50% before applying for the loan to get a better interest. If the loan doesn't cover the whole debt then look for cards with 0% balance offers, this can help also to lower utilization % which Fico is very sensitive about, then when cards are at around 30% ask for credit increases with soft pulls.

Above was my strategy to crush  12'500 in cc debt + $5k motor installment. Consolidation helped me focus and stay motivated. My Lender was Marcus by GS, I recommend it.

Message 2 of 19
Credit12Fico
Established Contributor

Re: $42k CC debt, 745 Fico 8, 56% Credit Usage, Newly Self Employed. Best Options for Consolidation?

What's the APR? are you in 0% promo period?

Message 3 of 19
njames33
New Contributor

Thanks I appreciate it, Marcus unfortunately verifies income but I'll keep looking for a similar solution 

Message 4 of 19
njames33
New Contributor

Thanks for the reply. NFCU is around 12% on $25k. Chase has about $10k which I had transferred at 0% and the rest is at 16%. Not sure if there is a way to pay off or transfer the portion I'm paying 16% on? 

Message 5 of 19
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Hi OP

Unfortunately, no FI is going to give you a loan with little or no income. Even with a new business, lenders want to see net income over the last 1-2 years.

My suggestion would be to think outside of the box at the moment to get another source of income coming in to pay off CC debt. Driving for Uber, getting a PT gig, hosting part of your home on AirBnB, or even having a garage sale. 

GL2U on whatever you decide. 

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 6 of 19
njames33
New Contributor

Appreciate the response. Didn't necessarily mean no or little income. Time invested working on business would yield a higher return than getting another job. Income is coming in decent but the previous 3 months there isn't much to show as the business was just getting launched. More concerned with trying to get the interest rates and payments down until the business ramps up more. Definitely solid advice for most in similar circumstances. 

Message 7 of 19
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@njames33 wrote:

Started a new business and as usual start-up cost was much higher than expected. Ended up putting around $40k onto credit cards to help get everything launched. Income is coming in slower than expected so wanted some opinions on what the best option is for consolidating?
Some consolidation loans I've looked into require proof of income and since this is a new business that won't work. 

Would appreciate any suggestions as to the best way to unwind from this mess. Thanks in advance!

My suggestion is to get the NFCU & Chase cards out of maxed out territory, get all cards to 48% or less, then see where your scores are after the dust settles.

Make sure you pay yourself on a W2, so when the time comes to apply for something you can submit recent paystubs as proof of recent income.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 8 of 19
njames33
New Contributor

I have a 745 mid score so I don't know how much of a difference it would make. If I spread the balances around my interest rates would be considerably higher. Not sure I understand this strategy, could you please explain?

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@njames33 wrote:

My suggestion is to get the NFCU & Chase cards out of maxed out territory, get all cards to 48% or less, then see where your scores are after the dust settles.

Make sure you pay yourself on a W2, so when the time comes to apply for something you can submit recent paystubs as proof of recent income.

Message 9 of 19
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

If your at 745ish. Paying down those cards will boost your scores very well. Paying yourself and filing W2's will look like your an employee of your business. You'll have proof of income just like us working folks with an employer. Plus you want to contibute to your SS now. Dont end up like my friend who didnt and now gets SSI at the lowest rate. Doesnt even pay rent on his shop and he lives in it. Didnt listen for years.

Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.